1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transfer files from removed laptop hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 1Andrew1, Aug 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 1Andrew1

1Andrew1 Thread Starter

My laptop died and I removed the hard drive.
    I hooked the hard drive up to my new laptop via a SATA/IDE cable.
    I can see the old hard drive in the E drive and it appears that all the contents are there by the size of the hard drive (same as when I had it in the old laptop) but I can only see, actually view, a very small percentage of the drive.
    My goal: I want to transfer all old music, word documents and photos from old laptop into new laptop.
    My issue: I can't see most of the files or I don't seem to have total access.
    The ingredients being used:
    Old lap top was a hp pavillion ze4500 with about 27 gig fuijitsu hard drive
    New laptop is hp with 80 gig hard drive
    Both systems are running XP.
    Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
  3. 1Andrew1

1Andrew1 Thread Starter

Thanks! I'll give it a try and let you know how it went.

4. 1Andrew1

1Andrew1 Thread Starter

I did see more of the drive after taking ownership but I can't seem to find the exact files I'm looking for. It is as if all has been put into some code. I want to find word docs, photos and music. None of my searches of the E drive show the docs I want, any music and only some of my photos. I know the information is on the drive since it is still near capacity - just as when I took it out of the laptop.

Another use suggested I switch the old drive to the "slave" and, after reading how to handle that task by switching the "jumper" around, I could not access the old drive at all. I switched it back to its original setting.

Any other ideas? I think the problem may be that the old drive was XP Home and the new laptop is XP Pro. Does that matter?

Help.

Thanks

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!