Transfer files from Vista to XP with Windows Easy Transfer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Renji_Da

Hi,
I bought a new laptop with Windows XP in it, I wanted to transfer some files from my Desktop PC which has Vista to my laptop with XP, I bought a Belkin USB Data Transfer Cable to transfer files with help of Windows Easy Transfer but when I installed the soft provided with it, it seemed that I can only transfer files from XP to Vista, but not the opposite. Is there a solution or must I go back to my retailer? Those unfinished Microsoft's products really annoy me.
Is there a soft which can do the same without changing the cable?
Thanks.

Did you install software on both?
Generally you will need to do so.

The simple approach if you have a router is just to make sure that the network name is same on both computers, then enable file and print sharing and make sure that the LAN and file and print sharing are not blocked by the firewalls on either machine and share the drive or folders you want and then you can see them in my network places , view workgroup computers on the other computer.

You can also do this with an ethernet crossover cable ,just connecting the ethernet cards of the two (*a crossover cable has the wires at opposite ends re arranged so the in wires on one end connect to the out on the other and vice versa)
Both windows and vista have file and settings transfer wizards and networking wizards designed to make this easier; but you can just do it all manually.

With your product did it say it was vista compatible?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online