1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transfer files over internet - help!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by kam338uk, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kam338uk

kam338uk Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

I thought this would be fairly simple to do however I just can't manage to do it :(
    What I want to do is transfer some files from one pc which is running Win2k to another pc which is running XP via the internet. I think the main problem is that because both computers are sharing the same internet through a broadband router and I don't know how to configure the ports and/or proxies :confused: . What I mean is when using certain programs, I don't know which Ip to use as both pc's have the same (external, i think) Ip and both pc's are behind proxies.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks! ;)

2. michael_jii

michael_jii

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It will also be a WHOLE LOT FASTER running file sharing! :)

4. kam338uk

kam338uk Thread Starter

I don't think I can do that though because the router is just routing the broadband to the comp's, the comps aren't actually networked themselves, so filesharing wouldn't work, would it?

Thanks in advance

5. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

i just email them to the other computer with outlook or outlook express, the biggest i've done, about 12 meg.

6. help_me_hype

help_me_hype

you can enable file and printer sharing even you are using a router. Router is just a pass through of your connections.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    "I don't think I can do that though because the router is just routing the broadband to the comp's, the comps aren't actually networked themselves, so filesharing wouldn't work, would it?"

File sharing will work if and only if your set it up.

Run the Network Setup wizard (found in Control Panel of Win 2k Pro or XP). Tell it each of your computers connects to the internet via "residential gateway" and that you want to enable file and printer sharing. Windows XP firewall will be properly configured by the wizard. You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls on each machine. Unique computer names and same workgroup, of course.

The Shared Documents folder is automatically shared. Any other folders or printers you want to share, just right click on them and sharing ... .

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (20 minutes; even hours) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers, and a few computer restarts.

When computers show up in My Network Places, double click on one to see its shares. If that includes a printer, you can right click on the printer to connect to it.

8. kam338uk

kam338uk Thread Starter

Ok, thanks alot guys - I'll go try that :) (y)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!