1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

transfer folder pc to laptop

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pctolaptop, Feb 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pctolaptop

pctolaptop Thread Starter

Hello,

I am new and a total computer novice. I need your help. I would like to copy/transfer a "Favorites" folder (in Internet Explorer) from a pc (ME) to a laptop (Win2K). I have many websites listed in the "Favorites" folder and do not want to hand copy all the addresses. FYI, these two computers are NOT networked in any way. I do NOT have a cd burner. The laptop does NOT have a floppy disk drive. Thanks in advance.

k

2. exocet

exocet

Even though they aren't networked, does either computer have access to the internet? You might want to consider zipping up your favorites folder, and email it to yourself on hotmail or whatever. Then connect the other machine to the internet and grab them.

3. pctolaptop

exocet,

Yes, they both have access to the internet (but not at the same time--dial-up, ugh). What is zipping and how do I do it. FWIW, I have tried to attach the folder in an e-mail and send it to another e-mail address, but it did not work.

4. exocet

exocet

Zipping is a method to take several files and compress them into one tidy file. This helps save space and keep things organized when transferring lots of files. Winzip is the most well known and popular utility for file compression and its very easy to learn to use.

Take a look at www.winzip.com and you can find it available for download there. Open up your favorites folder, and zip up all the webpage links that you want to transfer to the other computer. Then just attach that .zip file to an email and send it to yourself. Then log on your second machine, install winzip on that one as well, then download the .zip file you sent yourself thru email, then extract all the files within into your empty favorites folder and voila! If you come across any problems doing this, feel free. Good luck.

5. pctolaptop

Thanks!! You have been very helpful. If I have any future problems I'll post again.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!