1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transfer from Access Database to Access Database

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by rletter, Jun 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rletter

rletter Thread Starter

I have MS Access 2000. I initially created a long book list several years ago. I recently found a template from the MS database for books that I downloaded that I like better. I have tried importing the data from the old database to the new one but with no luck. Both are in Access 2000. I am running Win2K.
    Thanks

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Did you get errors?
    What happened?
    More info please...

3. rletter

rletter Thread Starter

Sorry. I didn’t investigate nor give enough information previously. Here is what has happened so far.

I open the new database template from MS that has six example items. I go to file/get external data/import/pick old database then get dialog box and select all tables, queries etc. and click OK.
    Now that I have looked a little more the data WAS imported but probally not to the new Switchboard and the old switchboard is still there and works just like the old database. I will try all this again and not import the switchboard.
    Let me get back to you after I play with this a little.
    Thanks

4. rletter

rletter Thread Starter

Well, I guess I don't know what I am doing.
    I cannot link the old data with the new. It is there when I look at the details but I get the old format. I tried just importing certain items but they did not link. I then deleted the whole mess and downloaded the template again and started over. Looks like I am importing the wrong item or too many of them
    Thanks

5. THoey

THoey

I would start with a clean slate, link to your data tables, write a query to get the data from your tables into the new tables, then drop the links to your tables.

Am I missing something here?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/137679

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice