1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transfer HDD to HDD (Program needed)

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Tecnotec, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tecnotec

Tecnotec Thread Starter

Hi I'm looking for a program that will let me transfer all my data from my dying Maxtor 40gig ide133 HDD to my new Seagate 320gig sata HDD. I will then be removing my old drive, which is my main HDD with my Win XP pro installed. I have a second HDD Maxtor 200gig sata already in the system with all my games and storage on and I don't want to reinstall all of these programs. What is the best program to do the transfer and to still be able to boot and be able to run all my games on my second drive after I remove my original HDD? I did a search and someone had listed that using software downloaded from Seagate or Maxtor will let you do this. If so great, I will get one of these, but I want something that is foolproof that I don't have to do alot of configuring after I'm done. Would like to be able to just remove old HDD when done and then just change drive letter in Bios, reboot and have everything up and running.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The advice was correct, the Maxtor utility should do the trick.

3. martingreg3

martingreg3

You will have trouble with anything if your Win XP is running as it will not allow you to copy active files.

4. martingreg3

martingreg3

The best bet is to backup your program files and documents to CD or DVD. Then install the new drive.

The biggest problem is that stand alone OS copying tools do not support big drives so unless you can partition your drives to a small size then use a copying tool, which does not use XP. i.e from floppy. Then you can use the partition tool to get your new drive back to it's original capacity. Paragon Partition Manager is the best I have seen.

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

The Seagate (SeaTools) or Maxtor (MaxBlast) software will allow you to copy an old drive to a new one. If you use the pure DOS versions, no worry about them not copying files already in use by another program. Make sure to choose the 'new drive will replace the old drive' option.

6. junker39

junker39

I use MaxBlast4 and have never had any issues copying files in use on an OS. I hook up the external drive, set it to copy C: to the external, leave it alone for an hour or so, and I've got a ready to run drive for backup. If I can remember to do that about once a month, I've always got a choice to either swap out the drives and continue on or try to fix the screw up I did on the first one. Sure saves alot of hassle. And MaxBlast is free.

7. Tecnotec

Tecnotec Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys. I elected to go with Acronis Migrate Easy that I got a free 15day trial from the Seagate site. It worked perfectly. I'm useing my other drive now with the original removed. Now if I can just get my system to reconize my other Sata HDD.

8. martingreg3

martingreg3

Hi Junker just had a look at the Maxtor site. It does say Maxtor drives which may mean it does not work with any other drives at least SATA. If the SCSI interface is used we should be ok I will try it and report back as I have a Samsung SATA drive.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544352

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice