1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transfer info from old computer to new one

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Lindee, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lindee

Lindee Thread Starter

Hi Rolling' Rog,

Thank you for all the help you gave me in dealing with my Windows 98 errors and freezing, we decided to get a new computer.

Q: How do we get the program files from our old computer to our new one without using a truck load of floppies? Is there a way to hook up the two computers some how?

2. perseous

perseous

Hi I am not roll'n rog but I think I can help I hope lol. If you have two NIC cards 1 in each then it is as simple as downloading off the internet. The only thing you will need to do is find out the name of each computer by right clicking on My Computer go to properties and then the tab network identification it will then tell you the name of the workgroup and computer. Then just connect and download.

Hope that helps.

3. Trboy13

Trboy13

Their are alot of ways to hook up two computers. Probably the easiest and cheapest way is to use a crossover cable. Assuming of course, that both of your computers have a network card. A crossover cable is basically like an ethernet cable, except some of the wires in the cable are switched around. You just plug it into both computers and then set up your own little network. If your using xp, which i'm assuming you are, it is nice about setting that stuff up for you.

You can probably find a crossover cable at your local computer store for somewhere around 10-20 bucks. Depending on how long of a cable you want. Or if you want you can make one youself, but that would probably be more expensive and a lot more time consuming.

Once you get the cable, you should be able to move all the FILES you want to the other computer. the key word here is, files, because you cant simply copy a program from one computer to the other. If you want to move a program, you have to have the disk/cd/ or install program in order to easily put it on the other computer. If you want to just copy the whole program as it was from your old computer to your new one, you need additional software. Just wanted you to know this(in case you didn't already) so you don't end up wasting time and money if thats what you planned to do. But it works great for moving files.

Good Luck, and have fun :)

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Hi Lindee, while I'm flattered that you would address this question to me -- big mistake

I can tell you only that there is no really easy way of doing that unless you have a CD-RW on both machines, and obviously you don't or you wouldn't be asking -- though you might consider getting one for the older machine, if the new one has one.

Basically the two other methods involve either setting up a networking configuration on both machines, or pulling the hard drive out of the older one and installing it as a slave in the new one.

But here I have to leave you in the hands of other who have direct experience in doing those. I suspect it would be hard to come by an explanation sufficiently detailed and practical to inspire you to do it; networking can be daunting; and installing a slave drive even temporarily might raise warranty issues on the new machine.

Perhaps one possibility, more feasible if you have a broadband connection, would be to find a webhost to upload them to and then download to the new pc. I don't have any to recommend, but perhaps someone else might.

See attachment if you want an example of what a "step by step" would look like for using a "crossover" setup. Found it doing a quick search.

If you right click and download it (save target as), it will display in an easier to read format

Attached Files:

5. anlore2001

anlore2001

First Name:
    Andrew
    The network is a great idea but if you want it done somewhat cheaply and you are going to get rid of the old system pick up a null serial cable (I think that is what they call it) and use the direct cable feature on both machines to transfer the files. It is some what slower than a network connection but it is cheaper than 2 network cards and a cable. Just my 2 cents

6. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

Try this program. It makes things real easy.

alohabob

7. chiqantony

chiqantony

listen u want the cheapest do u really want the cheapest way
    u will not pay any thing
    hear guys just open your pc remove the old hd and add it as a slave to your new hard disk in the data cable in the bios auto check your hd once its ok then u are done
    once u will enter to the window if u have c and d as patitions u will find alsow e ;) transefer your old data then to c
    easy huh

8. Mithrilhall

Mithrilhall

The only problem with that option is he will not have any of his registry entries. Now some programs will work fine without them but others will not and many files will loose their file associations.

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I'm not sure if it's just me, but, Lindee, I'm understanding that you want to get the actual programs to the new computer?

If so, they MUST be installed in order to run. You can't just copy their directories and files from one computer to another.

The other option I see, if your bios setup supports it, you can set the old hard drive up as slave, as suggested above, and choose to boot to that drive when you wish to use programs on the old hard drive.

10. Lindee

Lindee Thread Starter

Wow! What a response. It is nice to see the variety of options. Unfortunately, my old computer had a virus and I am not sure if it all got cleared up. I don't know if I was to copy the files if it will be transferred to my new one. I will reload the software that I want, but just want to copy my word docs.

Thanks,
    Lindee

11. Lindee

Lindee Thread Starter

Hi ACACandy,

I will load the programs that I want, but it is mostly the word docs that I need. I really don't want to do anything that may transfer the infected files to my new one.

Lindee

12. ~Candy~

Be aware that word documents can hold viruses as well.

13. Lindee

Lindee Thread Starter

Hi ACACandy,

Thanks, I guess I wasn't aware of that. It makes sence. It may be more work than it is worth. There problably isn't anyting I just can't live without. I will consider keeping the old computer for my grandson to use for games etc... Thank you for all your help.

Lindee

14. Lindee

Lindee Thread Starter

I recently purchased a new computer and am trying to print out some doc files in the old computer. After hooking everything up as before, it says it cannot be found. All is hooked up properly. A window came up and said to uninstall the printer, reboot, and reinstall. I did and when I put the HP CD in for the printer, it says it is already installed???? Now, the printer is not listed under; settings, printer and it will not let me install it as it says it is already there. I am not having fun!

15. ~Candy~

Is the printer being turned on before the computer is powered up?

Is it a parallel or USB printer?

Try disconnecting it and hooking it back up again.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/67000

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice