1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transfer information from master to slave drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by C-Smoove, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. C-Smoove

C-Smoove Thread Starter

Hello,

I am running Windows XP Home Ed and I have a new 160 G hard drive (westin digital). I want to make it a slave drive as well as move my information to the new drive. First I need to know how use the drive once I put it in as the slave drive. How do I get the OS to detect it so I can use it?

Then, what is the best way to transfer my info to the new drive and be able to use the rest of the drive's extra space?

Can anyone help with this task?

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

The old drive should be detected as soon as it is connected and the computer turned on.

One way to transfer the files is to go to My Computer. Click on the drive letter you want to transfer files from. It should open in a window. Size that window down to about one-quarter the size of your screen and drag that window to the upper right of your screen.

Go to My Computer. Click on the drive letter you want to transfer files to. It should open in a window. Size that window down to about one-quarter the size of your screen and drag that window to the lower right of your screen.

Make a folder in the bottom window named OldFiles.

Find the files in the top window that you want to copy. Drag them from the top window to the OldFiles folder in the bottom window.

3. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

I would go to C:\Documents and Settings\... and MOVE your My Music folder to the new drive then redirect media player there for where to rip music, that is one common folder sorted.

You should be able to do the same with My Documents but I think you may have to do something to make the computer look their for it... I can;t for the life of me remeber what though...

I would also create a folder named 'Downloads' and, well, use it for all your downloads. Move any other files that contain alot of media such as Videos and PIctures too if you like.

You could also create a new folder called 'Games' and install any games there, I would not owever attempt to move any existing games there as you may loose saved game content and they will most likely not operate correctly.

Hope this helps and gives you some idea of what you can do :)

4. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

Oh, i forgot you iTunes folder, you could move that if oyu have iTunes, any large media folder is a great candidate for being moved...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643541

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice