1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

transfer MP3 recordings to CD

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by bobtracie, Jan 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobtracie

bobtracie Thread Starter

I can record cassettes to my MP3 using the line-in recording. I can play the recordings on my MP3. I can find the files on my computer. They don't specify a file type, they are just called "file." When I copy the files to CD, I get a message on the CD player there is no audio. Is there a way to change the file ext so they will copy as music files? Is there another way to transfer MP3 recordings to CD? Ultimately, I want to be able to play the music that is now on cassette in the CD player in my car. I read a similar thread about burning CDs but it talked about audacity and I'm not familiar with that, I'm trying to use MP3. Thank you.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You need to configure the burning application for audio disks.

What burning application are you using? If you're trying to use the Windows built-in burning, try one of these free ones.

DeepBurner

CDburnerXP

ImgBurn

BurnAtOnce

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Unless your car CD supports MP3 files, your burner program will need to convert them to .CDA.

Also your car CD player will need to recognise burnt CD's, some earlier ones would not do so. (The reflective properties of a "bought" CD and a burned CD are very different)

4. bobtracie

bobtracie Thread Starter

I think I'm just using the CD write wizard on my computer, not a specific burning application. Thanks for the tip, I'll try using one of the ones you mentioned and see how it goes.

5. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

What ever you use choose make 'Audio CD' from the options.

6. bobtracie

bobtracie Thread Starter

Now I have CDBurnerXP loaded and the screen comes up and it all makes sense. However, when I select one of the MP3 line-in recordings to burn, those files do not show. I still think there's something not right with the file extensions. How do I access those files to burn them to CD?

7. bobtracie

bobtracie Thread Starter

I did choose make audio CD, that made the most sense to me.

8. bobtracie

bobtracie Thread Starter

I found one file that would show, so I selected it, added it, and tried to burn it to audio CD using CDburnerXP. I got this error message:

error while writing Audio CD: Open the file C:/Documents and Settings/Owner/My Documents/My Music/LINE-2005-06-05_23h38m33s.wma with audio file converter has failed!

9. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Well maybe it's a problem with the mp3 player's recordings. It looks like they are WMA files. Do they play properly on your computer? You could try to convert them to WAV first with this free app.

http://www.nch.com.au/switch/index.html?ref=google&ref2=switchwav&gclid=CNGzm6767IkCFQ6kWAodpicLJw

For much better results you could record from your cassette deck direct to your computer using your sound card's line in, saving them as WAV files and then burning to CD. You could use Audacity (free) for this.

10. bobtracie

bobtracie Thread Starter

Yes, the files play ok on my computer. I do get this message from Windows Media Player, though:

"The selected file has an extension that is not recognized by Windows Media Player, but the Player may still be able to play it. Because the extension is unknown by the Player, you should be sure that the file comes from a trustworthy source. Do you want the Player to try to play the file?"

When I click Yes, it plays ok.
    However, I can play only one song at a time this way, not an entire album.

I'll try your idea of recording direct to computer.

11. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

What is the extension? Type in a song title.

12. bobtracie

bobtracie Thread Starter

My son & I looked yesterday and we could not find extensions on these files anywhere in my computer. I now have audacity downloaded and I found line-in on the computer. I looked around in audacity a bit, thinking I would just start over and record directly into the computer as you suggested, but I can't figure out how to even start recording with audacity.

13. bobtracie

bobtracie Thread Starter

"Light" -- no extension
    in the "properties" dialog box it says file type: file

14. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

15. bobtracie

bobtracie Thread Starter

I've read the manual, and followed all the steps to record. I even named the track. However, I have no sound. I did check the control panel on my computer and made sure mute was turned off and volume turned on. I checked preferences in audacity to make sure the audio device matched the one in my computer and that I was recording in stereo. It appears it is recording. However, I have no sound. Then I stopped the recording, exported it as a WAV file, and tried to play it on Windows Media Player, still no sound. I'm not sure where to look or what to do next. ?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!