1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transfer music files from one comp to another

Discussion in 'Networking' started by brookyjoann, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brookyjoann

brookyjoann Thread Starter

I saw the other post with similar question except my daughter's computers have no current connection between them (no router as other person has). Both computers have network cards, one is running Windows ME and her new one has Windows XP (don't know if this makes a difference). I've been told a crossover cable will do the trick (she wants to transfer mainly music), but I've never done this. Please explain how, my computer terminology is limited so not too technical please. Thank you.

2. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Plug on end of the crossover cable into each PC, and Windows XP will recognize it automatically. Not sure about ME though.

3. brookyjoann

brookyjoann Thread Starter

This may sound stupid, but, WHERE do I plug them in?? :confused:

4. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

Into the network card.

5. Spiritwalker

Spiritwalker

the network port looks like an oversized phone jack, if you are using a cross over cable, you will have to make sure that both of your computers are on the same workgroup, and you will have to set your IPs manually for each computer.

But since you are running XP, all you need is a floppy disk.

just hook up the two computers.. pop in the floppy in the XP machine, Click on Start-Help, and in the search engine, type Network Wizard, click on the link and follow the instructions.. when done, take the floppy, put in the ME machine, and run the floppy. The XP machine will walk you through running the floppy.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222439

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice