Transfer music files from one comp to another

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

brookyjoann

I saw the other post with similar question except my daughter's computers have no current connection between them (no router as other person has). Both computers have network cards, one is running Windows ME and her new one has Windows XP (don't know if this makes a difference). I've been told a crossover cable will do the trick (she wants to transfer mainly music), but I've never done this. Please explain how, my computer terminology is limited so not too technical please. Thank you.

Plug on end of the crossover cable into each PC, and Windows XP will recognize it automatically. Not sure about ME though.

the network port looks like an oversized phone jack, if you are using a cross over cable, you will have to make sure that both of your computers are on the same workgroup, and you will have to set your IPs manually for each computer.

But since you are running XP, all you need is a floppy disk.

just hook up the two computers.. pop in the floppy in the XP machine, Click on Start-Help, and in the search engine, type Network Wizard, click on the link and follow the instructions.. when done, take the floppy, put in the ME machine, and run the floppy. The XP machine will walk you through running the floppy.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!