1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

transfer of files

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by arrowwes, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. arrowwes

arrowwes Thread Starter

I have just bought a used computer with windows xp.
    I have been using one with windows 95 and now want to transfer all files and data to the xp computer. How do I go about doing this.???

2. dez_666

dez_666

well, you could get a flash drive and put files on it. and then pop it in the new computer and copy them to it. if you dont have that many files, around a 4gig should be good. it might cost around 19$, but its yours forever :) and flash drives are pretty handy.

another way to do it would be to get a CROSSOVER cable and connect it from one PC's Ethernet card to the other computers ethernet card. this way, they would be on a 'network' with eath other.

also, if you have a router, you could just hook them up at the same time to the router to get the same effect as the second solution i mentioned.

And also, Welcome to TSG! (y)

3. arrowwes

arrowwes Thread Starter

Thank you for the quick reply and welcome.Another quick question for you:

4. dez_666

dez_666

And whats that :rolleyes:

5. arrowwes

arrowwes Thread Starter

Can I use the cable that my cable comp. provided for my internet connection as the transfer cable???

6. ViprXX

ViprXX

if the cable says CAT 5e then its not a crossover cable and can't be used for directly connecting two pc's together. see what it says on the cable you have.

7. dez_666

dez_666

If its a crossover cable it will either say so in the text printed along the cable or have some other identifier, like i have some cables that came with a small piece of white tape wrapped around it with the words "CROSS" on it. :rolleyes:

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Trying to transfer the data using any type of networking is likely going to be time-consuming to setup and very frustrating. It's not as simple as plugging a cable in and copying files.

The easiest and fastest way to do this is to take the hard drive out of the Windows 95 computer and connect it to the Windows XP computer either internally or using a USB hard drive enclosure.

You will not be able to transfer all files. You can only transfer data. Programs have to be reinstalled using the original disks or installation executables.

9. briealeida

briealeida

A lot of crossover cables have boots colored differently than the cable itself.

Anyway, the flash drive (I call it a USB key) is probably the easiest and most user-friendly way to get it done. Good luck!

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The old computer here is a Windows 95 system. Support for USB flash drives is going to be limited if available at all.

11. arrowwes

arrowwes Thread Starter

Thanks for all the answers guys. The cable I got is not a crossover cable so I am transfering some files using my zip drive. It is a slow process but I am not in a big rush. Thanks again.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592319

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice