1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transfer of Programs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Molson, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Molson

Molson Thread Starter

Alright i just bought a New PC and every thing is great.

All it has is windows though.

i have an external hard drive i can use to transfer files and such from my old computer, but how do i transfer all of the programs and such to the new PC.
    i no longer have many of the intialtion disks.

i would be happy just transfering an exact copy over as long as the programs work.

is there any way to do this?

i know this may not be the correct forum but i could not deside what section to fit it in.

thanks a lot for any help.
    and i think it's great smart people help others....

2. Rockn

Rockn

There is really no way to transfer programs from on drive to another since installation and supporting files are placed all over the drive, not just in a single folder. Your best bet would be to reinstall the applications from the source disks or CD's

3. Molson

Molson Thread Starter

is there anyways i could just copy the entire drive?

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Unless you want to wipe out your os on the new computer and copy the one on the old disk, there is no way. You could do a disk copy, however xp will most likely not boot until a repair is done. After the repair of xp, you will need to activate it again because of the new hardware you have added ie new mb, video, etc.

It is much more work than it is worth and you will end up with a less stable system since it will not be a clean install.

Just reinstall the programs or get new cds, it will be much easier and less time consuming.

5. Molson

Molson Thread Starter

nuts, well thanks for the help, any way to get one program off.

the pc i have now has autocadd from an old job and i am not intrested in purchsing it again.......oh well.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269420

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice