Transfer old DOS pgm to new computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nangar

I have a small program still running on an IBM XT, DOS 3.1 or so. I would like to transfer the program to a newer computer. The XT only has a 5 1/4 " floppy drive, I have no other 5 1/4" drive on any other computer to allow me to make the transfer. I know DOS Backup.exe is incompatible from this version to later versions so I will have to Copy or some other procedure.

Is there a way I can use a cable to make a transfer to another drive? or do I have to find another 5 1/4" drive to install on another computer?

You should be able to use a null-modem cable
and the DOS Interlnk and Intersrv programs.
You'll probably need a boot disk with the newer
computer's DOS version, which should boot up
the XT just fine. If you need help with this, let
me know.

Here's a link where we covered using the DOS
Interlnk and Intersrv programs:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?postid=246252

If you need more help, feel free to ask.

Cheers, Mac

If you put the old drive in the new PC you can use a boot manager and have a dual boot PC with your newr OS on one drive and Win3.1 on the other. If u don't want to do that just put the drive in as a slave and run the programs from your new OS...might need some tweaking but it should work.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online