1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Transfer Outlook.com sub-folders to Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by bobc, Jul 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobc

bobc Thread Starter

I have set up Thunderbird v.60.8.0 on a friends computer to access an Outlook.com account via POP. The Outlook Inbox content downloads to Thunderbird as expected but I cannot download any of the additional outlook mail sub-folder content. I am not a familiar user of Outlook.com and cannot see any way to make these additional folders accessible to Thunderbird or to otherwise export them so that Thunderbird can access them. I cannot so far find any workable solutions on-line. Has anyone a solution to this problem?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    For an IMAP account Thunderbird has a "Synchronization & Storage" section that includes an option to "Keep messages in all folders for this account on this computer ...". Any thing like that for POP (I have no POP accounts, so cannot easily check)?

3. bobc

bobc Thread Starter

Hi Terry. There is an import function for POP in Thunderbird, but it cannot "see" the Outlook.com sub-folders. Using the Outlook.com account, I cannot see any export function, or file handling functions as used to exist for email files beforeWin10. I can export the address book from the Outlook.com account and subsequently import it into Thunderbird, but so far no way of doing the same for the email sub-folders.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Since I have no solution for what you are trying, let me try one of those annoying diversions: why the heck are you using POP instead of IMAP anyhow? (You may simply ignore this question, but I do hope you have a good answer for yourself or friend.)

5. bobc

bobc Thread Starter

Because that is what she asked for. She is using a single PC in a fixed location with unreliable broadband signal and wishes to store copies of all email on the PC so that they can be browsed off-line. There is no requirement to "echo" the email across multiple devices nor to store them on a remote server (other than the Outlook.com server). That said, are you recommending a move to IMAP?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If it is important to have messages in Inbox (and other folders) on the computer but not on the server then POP seems to have an advantage. Otherwise, I can think of none.

Almost all mail providers now provide IMAP and I expect many to begin to drop POP.

But I wouldn't recommend that somebody moves to IMAP if they do not need an IMAP capability.

I've never used Thunderbird, or any other mail client, with outlook.com (or hotmail.com or live.com) so I cannot guarantee that outlook.com would behave better with IMAP than with POP.

7. bobc

bobc Thread Starter

Thanks for your thoughts Terry. I might try IMAP and then revert to POP if the sub-folders download. She will be picking up the PC today, so unless I find a fix soon, she will have to go with what she has and use Outlook.com for access to "historic folders". If I find a solution then I will post it here. I will mark this as solved to close the thread.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

9. bobc

bobc Thread Starter

This was the somewhat "clunky" solution:
    1. In the Outlook.com account, block move (or copy if you want to preserve the old sub-folder) the contents of the selected sub-folder to the Outlook inbox.
    2. In Thunderbird, these emails all appear as new emails in the Thunderbird inbox (although scattered according to date).
    3. In Thunderbird, select and move these emails to the required Thunderbird sub-folder.
    4. In Outlook, tidy up the inbox if you copied the sub-folder contents.
    5. Rinse, repeat, for all required sub-folders.
    6. Job done.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Sounds like fun. :D

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1230631

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice