1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transfer program in a Network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ikaika, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ikaika

ikaika Thread Starter

I have 4 computers in a network, two are win98 and two are win 2000.
    How do I sent a program from the win 98 machine to the win 2000 machine.

I can't seem to find an administrator in Win 98.

Thanks, Barb

2. Del

Del

Can the computer's all see each other?

3. Rockn

Rockn

PSSST...........There is no administrator in Win98

4. Pjotter

Pjotter

win 98 has no admin .

if you main installed programs on the computer er is no way to do that. you need the install the programs on every computer you need it.
    If you meen just sending docs, files from the one to other use on the 2000 computers file sharing by sharing the directorys in the explorer by clicking them right en select sharing. if there is no sharing you need to install file and network sharing in the local aria network properties. you can find that on the control pannel.
    win 98 works also like that. if you can see the other computer by after this than you must set a lot of other thinks right.

5. ikaika

ikaika Thread Starter

The win 98 machine is the main computer, we already sat up a transfer file to transfer some graphics to the 2000 machine.

The problem I'm having with 2000 machine, IE has been destroyed and I wanted to transfer a downloaded program "spybot" over there to clean up the computer. Now my machine which is an upgraded win 2000 has the program but the win 98 is the main machine.

What a mess, help!

Barb

6. Pjotter

Pjotter

i don't understand you at all.

Where do you need a transfere file for ? just copy and paste as else.
    right clik the file select copy in explorer. go to network select the 2000 computer if there is no share make a share else type in de start -run w2k computername\c$ and press enter you get a password box fil in the admin name of the w2k computer and his pasword and you are in go to the right map and right clic again and select paste
    ofcourse is the "win2k computername" the name you give to your computer.
    if you don't no how to copy and paste at all read the help file.

If you can copy graphics files why you can't copy the downloaded program files
    That your 98 computer is the main computer ???? make no diffrence. is it the gateway to internet for the other computers

7. ikaika

ikaika Thread Starter

Thanks, that's the answer I was looking for.

I wasn't the one that connected the network, I was watching the person setting up the graphic files for transfer, I should have taken notes but I didn't.

It looked easy then but I still forgot.

I was able to transfer the files over but now I encountered another problem, the win 2000 machine won't let me install. It says "access denied".

I managed to get out on the internet and downloaded the "spybot" program direct but I got the same denial message once I tried to install the program.

Barb

8. Pjotter

Pjotter

you have to install it when you work on the win2k computer and you have to login as administrator other users acount do not have the rights to install most of the programs.

9. ikaika

ikaika Thread Starter

Now I'm asking a stupid question, how do I sign in as administrator.

I can't seem to find where you do this.

10. Pjotter

Pjotter

if you start your computer do you log on ?
    if not autologon is enabled
    You can do servel thinks
    if you have de administrator password.
    easyway is start -setting -controlpannel
    holding down the shift key and right click the ad en remove programs icon. you wil be ask about the admin password. after that press enter you are on admin mode for deleting and adding software in this window you have now admin right so be carefull. click the ad new program icon on the left site. then on the right you see button for cd or floppy click it a wizard is starting just folliw what will be asked
    donot worry about the ce floppy or cd you do not neet them after one nex you can find the button browse use it to find your program. in the nex window you see your hard drives but down you see file type click the little errow on the right and you see more best is to goose programs so you can see al your exe files if you can not find your program try all sellect your program and click open and after that finish your program starts the installation . if you leef ad programs your admin right are gone again so do not wory you still have them on other programs.
    if you don't have the admin password you have a problem. try to find out who has.

11. ikaika

ikaika Thread Starter

Thanks, that worked very well, got all my programs installed.

Can I come back to transferring files from one computer in the group to another. A file has been created already ( I didn't do it) on the receiving computer.

How do I select the file I want to transfer with your "copy" and "paste" method. I still don't get it and reading the help files didn't shed a light either. I'm hopeless.

12. Pjotter

Pjotter

Oke some items out of the help file.
    this wil help you it is realy easy to do.

To select multiple files and folders

Open Windows Explorer.
    Click the drive or folder you want to work with, and then do one of the following:
    To select consecutive files or folders, click the first item, press and hold down SHIFT, and then click the last item.
    To select files or folders that are not consecutive, press and hold down CTRL, and then click each item.
    To select all the files and folders in the window, click the Edit menu, and then click Select All.
    Note

To open Windows Explorer, click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Windows Explorer.