1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transfer startup disk to USB to start computer?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Cetaceous, Jun 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cetaceous

Cetaceous Thread Starter

My computer won't start and tells me I need my Vista installation disk to start. After many months and moving house, I finally found the disk, but the disk drive on my desktop is defunct and can't be used. Is there any way for me to transfer the disk onto a flash drive so I can start it up that way? I have only the use of an older, rather slow laptop to do this with.

2. Sponsor

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

To transfer a bootable DVD onto USB, you need to first use a program to transfer the DVD to an ISO file. Then use a program called rufus to bring that ISO image onto a USB mem stick. However, computers from the Vista era may not be able to boot from USB.

4. Cetaceous

Cetaceous Thread Starter

The desktop is a Gateway GT5676 that is about 8 years old. Is there any way to know whether it will boot from a USB before going through all the steps to actually try it?

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is the USB listed as a bootable device? Or can it be so designated in the BIOS?

If 'no' to both questions then you have your answer.

If 'yes' to either question then your answer is that it may work. The one PC I bought with Vista pre-installed supposedly could boot from USB but I never succeeded with Windows or with a Linux distribution.

6. Cetaceous

Cetaceous Thread Starter

It does give me the option, yes.
    I will try it then.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!