1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transfer Windows 7 installation from old PC to new???

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by da_realest_killa, Dec 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. da_realest_killa

da_realest_killa Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a PC with Windows 7 ultimate installed. I'm planning on purchasing a custom built Pc soon and was wondering whether i am able to transfer my current installation of Windows 7 ultimate to my new PC? I don't have the windows 7 installation disc but it is activated and have the product ID (from the properties windows after right clicking my computer) if it helps.

I would have expected Microsoft to have something that allows this but haven't found one. I've only found an application on Windows 7 called Windows easy transfer, but this only transfers files etc and not the actual Windows 7.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You cannot transfer Windows 7 from one computer to another computer. You need to install it in the new computer.

The product ID that you're looking at is not the 25-character serial number that activated it.

-------------------------------------------------------

3. da_realest_killa

Thank you for the quick response. I'm a bit gutted to read that reply though :) I was hoping there was a solution to that.
    Is it possible to find my Windows 7 serial number on the computer somehow and use it again?
    It just that considering that i bought the Windows 7 CD and have lost it, bit disapointed there isn't another way of doing this.

4. valis

valis Moderator

Nope. Serial number can only be used once.

5. UberNerd

UberNerd

False!

Take out the hard drive and put it in the new computer or create a backup and install the backup on your new computer.
    Get a external hard drive to put the backup on so that you can use the external hard drive to install the backup on your new computer or find another way to install the backup on your computer. Lots of possibility's here...

You might want to look here:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows7/products/features/backup-and-restore

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If Windows 7 was pre-installed on your PC or your purchased Windows 7 was a (discounted) Upgrade for a qualifying XP or Vista it cannot be transferred to any other computer.

If you purchased a (full price) retail version then with a call to Microsoft you can deactivate it from one PC and activate it on another. Of course, losing your disks and Product Key doesn't make installation a snap.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, it is relatively easy to tranfer an installation from one PC to another. The version of 7 that I am using right now on a desktop used to be on my laptop. It was a retail version.

But there are other considerations, as has been mentioned. If it is a retail version and you actully bought the DVD, then you can transfer it to a different machine and get it activated on the new machine (and removed from the old one). I have transferred installations many times from virtual machines to real ones, and vice versa, as well as from one machine to a completely different machine.

It may even be possible to do it for free, but you may need to buy a program, too. I'll have to check on programs' availability.

What these programs do, basically, is to strip the installation's registry of machine-specific drivers, scan the new machine for hardware, and then "install" the needed drivers into the OS before you even try to boot it up. (Just a note: Many people seem to get stuck on the same step in using these programs. It is when it asks for the location of drivers. There is almost never any need to specify that and it can be left blank. What they are asking for is drivers that are not contained in Windows already and Windows has all the drivers needed to get the machine booted in 99% of cases.)

Here is an example:

Paragon Adaptive Restore.

The Paragon Hard Drive Manager also has a "P2P Adjust" program on it that will make any drive attached to a machine (with an OS on it, obviously) bootable on that machine.

Their free tools may be all you will need ("free" but you will need to sign up and maybe get a little junk mail, but a small price, really):

Paragon Adaptive Imaging Tools

or, an evaluation version may have full functionality, too:

Paragon Adaptive Restore Evaluation

Acronis also has Universal Restore, but they don't have anything free and you'd need to buy that as an add-on to another imaging program that you had already purchased. But I have used it as well and it works perfectly.

============================================

You will need your product key. It is hashed and not readable on the machine. The number in Computer properties is not it.

ProduKey
    Windows Product Key Viewer

8. da_realest_killa

Hi,

Thanks to you all who have replied, appriciate it. There seems to be around 3 different solutions here, so hopefully one of them will work without fuss! I think the response from TerryNet sounds appealing as i'll be in contact with Microsoft, so there shouldn't be any problems. Just a follow up on that reply, i've found my activation code (i wrote a copy of the code when i had the disc just in case), but i still don't have the disc. How can i go about installing my windows 7 ultimate on a new PC? Am i able to use my old hard drive (with windows 7 installed) to do this somehow?

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Borrow a Windows 7 Ultimate DVD from a friend, relative or colleague.

10. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

You can't copy the install from one to the other, but you can easily install the operating system on the second computer using the license from the first (since it is a retail copy).

Download and install Belarc Advisor (http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html) or System Information for Windows (http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html). Both with tell you what your Windows Product Key is. Write that code down and store it in a safe place. You will need it to reinstall Windows on your new system.

When you activate your new install, it will either activate without a problem, or give you a number to call. Tell the person you will eventually get to, that you are moving your install from your old PC to your new one. The technician will either reset your product key, or give you a new one.

It is perfectly legal to move your retail version of the O/S as many times as you want. It is not legal to move the OEM version (which is subsidized by the company that purchased it) unless that company supports it.

By the way, you will still need to borrow a retail DVD in order to do the install.

11. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

Actually, the issue here isn't what's technically possible, it's all about licensing issues and the legality of trying to transfer an existing installation of Windows to a new computer. Outside of full retail versions of Windows, it isn't legal to migrate an existing copy to a new computer.

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

And in any case, the quoted method will not work since it is an entirely different machine.A backup from one machine will not run (almost never, anyway, unless nearly identical) when restored to a different machine directly, wthout any "pre-treatment".

13. da_realest_killa

The response for this has been great, so again thanks for your help. I'm going to to phone up Microsoft and get them to deactivate it on my old PC and re-activate it on my new PC and hopefully that should work. I'm planning on buying my new PC soon so when i do get it, i'll let you know how i get on.

Thanks again to you all!

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029811

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice