1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transfer

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by caitlynsmith, Mar 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. caitlynsmith

caitlynsmith Thread Starter

I am switching hosts, because the one I am using is horrible. Can anyone tell me (step by step, I am new to this), how to transfer all of my stuff from one host, to another without corrupting my files. I also need to know how to log back in to WordPress, because after my site crashed last night, I am unable to even see the login page. Please help!

2. NegativeKelvin

NegativeKelvin

What host are you using? If it's WordPress.com, there's not all that much you can do to transfer it.

If you're on another hosting company, you'll need to login to cPanel and export the database via PHPMyAdmin. Then you'll need to use FTP or WebDAV to download all of the files from the server. Once you get a new host, you'll need to import the .SQL file to PHPMyAdmin on your new host, change the SQL login information in wp-config.php to match the new host and then upload all of the files using FTP or WebDAV.

3. caitlynsmith

I am using doteasy.com, but would like to switch to HostMetro. I am not hosting through WP. Doteasy.com has been no help at all, and has disabled public access. Is this going to be a problem in transferring? How do I go about logging in to WordPress if I can not see the login page?

4. NegativeKelvin

NegativeKelvin

5. caitlynsmith

I should've worded that better, my bad. Once the transfer is complete, will I then be able to login to WP again?

6. NegativeKelvin

NegativeKelvin

Yes, but if they've changed the .htaccess file you'll need to edit it.

7. caitlynsmith

How would I go about changing that, if necessary? I apologize for my ignorance on the matter, I am new to WordPress, and ****** hosts!

8. caitlynsmith

9. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    The problem you have got is not being able to login? Does your site still work if you view it without logging in?

What do you mean your site crashed, be a bit more explicit. Did you add a plugin, do an update or what?

If it is because of a new/updated plugin you need to login with ftp or cPanel file manager and navigate to wp-content > plugins and delete the offending plugin folder.

Those instructions you quote are correct and work well BUT DO NOT follow them until you can log back in to your site. Moving your site without being able to login will do nothing other than move the files you still won't be able to login.

Update this thread with what exactly caused your site to crash and I will be able to give you some more advice.

10. caitlynsmith

Hey Colin. My site crashed last night due to a high traffic volume, even though I am paying for unlimited bandwidth. They're only suggestion was to upgrade. I found a new/better host, and now I am in the process of waiting for the old host to transfer my domain to the new one, and then I just need to transfer all of my files. I have built my site through WordPress, and cannot view/access WordPress in any way. I can now open my Cpanel on my first host, but that's about it. I cannot open a livechat with them, nor do they have a phone number to reach them at, as they are in a different country. I've sent numerous emails, so I am hoping they make the domain transfer happen soon. Anyway, once they transfer it, how exactly do I go about moving all of my WordPress files to the new host? I know through my ftp, and to backup my files, and copy them. However, where do I copy the files to? I'm really confused over this whole ordeal.

11. colinsp

colinsp

First Name:
    Colin
    If your site will not load now there is no point moving the files to a new host your site will NOT work on a new host.

What is your site url?

If the nameservers have been changed already to point to your new hosting that may be why the site is not now working. If the site stopped working just purely due to excess traffic it should not 'break' and should continue to work once the traffic had calmed down.

Wordpress comprises 2 things the files and the database. You need to copy the files to the same locations they are now on the new server. You need to export the database using phpmyadmin and create a new database on the new hosting and import the database. The database is the critical thing with any Wordpress install. Do you have a backup?

Your new host may provide a migration service from cpanel to cpanel ask them it may be the easiest way to get everything over BUT if your site is broken due to corrupted files / database this won't get the site working again.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1144115

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice