1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transfered videos are taking GBs and also giving poor qualities.

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by chatterjee, Jan 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chatterjee

chatterjee Thread Starter

My newly bought Sony DCR TRV285E camcorder is giving me a serious problem.When I tried to transfer the recorded videos to computer via a USB cable it cost me nearly GB for a mere 5 minute video.I'm seriously concerned about the quality of picture it gives.When I see it throgh the camera LCD it is as bright as it should be but the recorded file is completely blurred,to be precise faces become dark.

As I couldn't capture the video to my computer,today I went to a vendor nearby.He said that I should convert the video to DVD format to gain the full potential.But the rate was as high as Rs.500(nearly 10$) per DVD.

I know the whole thing can be done by my computer but don't know how to work out the problem.Please help!

2. linskyjack

linskyjack

Geeze--your "vendor" is a moron--First thing you need to do is tell us about that Sony model---there is not much on it on the Internet---does it capture DV, High 8mm? Second thing you need to know is that video files, particularly coming out of your camera going into your computer are very large. That is ONE of the reasons that it is recommended that you capture video on a seperate drive. Last but not least, don't expect the video to look good in the preview mode of whatever application you are using to capture it. The only way you can accurately judge the quality is on a broadcast monitor (only the high end NLE's support that) and/or after compressing the video for delivery. In other words, what you see on your computer screen is seldom a good representation of what you will get on output.

3. Saxon

Saxon

You should be using the DV facility (i.LINK) output connection on your camcorder to get the best digital imaging on your computer. This involves installing a Firewire port on your computer if you don't already have one. The USB connection is not going to give the quality you require. If you are using Hi8 analog tapes in your camcorder then this requires at least a Video In connection on your graphics card and maybe an Audio In connection to your soundcard also. Forget the USB route it won't do the business.

4. linskyjack

linskyjack

Wrong---both USB and Firewire both transport the same data (1 and 0's) If you said that firewire is more dependable (fewer dropped frames) then I could agree with you. Again, he needs to tell us what he is capturing, onto what, what NLE he is using, and what his final distribution will be.

5. erick295

erick295

It's true that USB and Firewire should theoretically yield the same quality - however, I've never seen a video camera that will let you capture video using USB. If they exist, I don't know of any. Even if you have a choice, you should use Firewire. USB is more unstable and not reliable enough for steady video capture. You may lose frames.

I've seen camcorders that will act as a live webcam if you connect it via USB... perhaps this is what is happening, and it is streaming the video from the tape rather than giving you live video. This would give you a much lower quality of video than you would get by truly capturing it (using Firewire).

1GB for 5 minutes of video is about right. Uncompressed video is 15-20GB per hour.

You cannot "convert the video to a DVD format to gain the full potential." If the video quality is bad and you put it on a DVD, then you will have a bad DVD.

What are you using to play the video back on your PC? Is your monitor dark?

6. chatterjee

Thank you all for your help.

285E model is a Digital8 model.I list the key features of it:

Key Features
    Gross 540,000 Pixels ; Effective 350,000 Pixels
    Zoom ( 20x Optical, 990x Digital )
    B&W View Finder
    6.35 cms-LCD Screen (123k dots)
    USB Streaming
    Start / Stop Button on LCD Frame
    Zoom Button on LCD Frame
    Steadyshot
    Nightshot Plus
    Easy Handycam

I want to mention that the video captured on the camcorder is not that bad but being transfered to the computer it looks dull.Is it compression that matters?If I compress it with Virtualdub and DivX codec,will it be corrected.I also want to say that I use onboard graphics,no separate graphics card is added.

Can I use i.LINK cable with USB? I mean, is i.LINK cable compatible with USB?

I'm a complete newbie here.Please let me know more about Firewire port.What is it?How can I install it and put it to use?

Thanks in advance for tolerating a newbie like me.

7. Saxon

Saxon

The specifications you gave in your last post confirms what erick295 and I were saying about the USB connection, it's for streaming video i.e. a webcam and not what you should be using. Even so you seem to be hanging on to the idea, but you will find an iLink or Firewire OUT socket on your camcorder so there is nothing stopping you except cost from getting a Firewire cable and a Firewire card which slots into the PCI bus inside your computer. If this is getting beyond you try to solicit some help, it's not hard to to insert a PCI card and once you have seen it done you will realise how easy it is to do. I'ts well worth the extra effort now to obtain the very best which your camcorder is able to offer and it would be a shame to make do with less.

8. linskyjack

linskyjack

If he isn't dropping frames, then there should be no qualitiative difference between moving data via USB or Firewire. As far as "dullness" goes, never judge the quality of a video by what you see in the preview window or on your CRT never looks as good as it WILL when you output to your chosen format. What do you want to do with this video you are capturing--Do you want it to play on Windows Media Player, do you want to burn a DVD, do you want to edit it and go back to Hi8 tape? Once you decide what you want to do, then tell us how it looks---I can guarantee it will look as good as a Hi8 camera can.

9. Saxon

Saxon

This camcorder is both Hi8 and Digital enabled in other words it can use both formats. The issue here is whether the very best digital recording is required on the computer and I'm sure that is the aim. Why buy such a camcorder if you weren't going to use the best quality it was capable of? If Hi8 was the only matter of interest here then perhaps the USB route doesn't matter too much, but there is no question, no ifs or buts, if you want full digital quality on DVD or otherwise then it has to be via Firewire. Any opinion to the contrary is a deluded one and is not backed up by any facts. This thread may be of interest.

http://products.sony.co.uk/newdigital8camcorders.asp

10. linskyjack

linskyjack

Are you calling me delusional--LOL--I do this for a living----Let me educate you. Digital 8 format is a combination of the Hi8(TRANSPORT SYSTEM) and the DV codec. There should be no qualtative differences between it and DV. (IF THE LENSES ARE THE SAME THE CHIPS ARE THE SAME ETC) As far as transporting data goes, as I said before, firewire is preferable (and his camera supports it) but USB will work and IF YOU DONT DROP frames, the quality will be the same. I do wish people wouldn't give bad advice to people. Please follow my recommendations and you will be happy with the results---Last time I say this, DO NOT JUDGE THE QUALITY OF YOUR VIDEO BASED ON WHAT YOU SEE IN THE CAPTURE WINDOW OF YOUR MONITOR!

11. Saxon

Saxon

You seem to be taking this very personally linskyjack but I assure you this is not the intention. You may do this kind of thing for a living but you have not yet explained how the ordinary punter can get digital quality via USB. Even Sony describe the USB connection on this camcorder as being intended for a webcam and not for video editing. I have explained the hardware means by which Firewire may be employed and its benefits but you seem to want to force the USB option if only others would understand.

You may be entirely correct in your views but I'm afraid up to now you have failed to give practical advice on how us ordinary folk can get this supposed digital quality via USB on to our computers . Chattegee hasn't achieved it, Sony doesn't mention it, erick259 and I don't know of such an option, nobody else has contributed a USB option to this thread yet, only you.

Well I still say you are in the minority view here and the most widely used digital transfer of choice is by Firewire. You are not just going on at me but rather the whole industry which you must know is using Firewire for digital video connection for the home computer user and for you to ignore this fact suggests you are just trying to win an argument rather than giving us the benefit of your knowledge in a factual way.

If you still want to prove your point, well I wish you would because I am thinking to go the digital route very soon and if I could do it via USB and have results equal to Firewire then I would thank you enormously for you would have saved me a few bucks and I wouldn't mind being proved wrong at all, not one bit. Thanks in advance.

Saxon

12. Mulderator

Mulderator

Digital (firewire/USB or whatever) is highly overrated for personal PCs. As a practical matter, you have to compress video in any event. I cannot tell the difference between digital and S-Video when I use a capture device that encodes to an MPEG-2 file. Obviously, if left in raw uncompressed data, digital would be better. And I am sure for very expensive high end MPEG encoders it makes a difference (i.e., commercial DVDs).

I recommend people use this:

http://www.adstech.com/products/USBAV_701/intro/usb701intro.asp?pid=USBAV701

or this (for DV transfer)

http://www.adstech.com/products/USBAV_703/intro/usb703intro.asp?pid=USBAV703

I have have a dozen or so friends and neighbors using it now and all find it to be very easy to use and haven't run into any problems.

But to be honest although I have the DV model, I transfer using my camcorder's S-Video and RCA audio outputs as I can see no difference is the finished captured video and the DV is more problematic.

They comes bundled with a good Software (Ulead Movie Factory) that lets you edit the video--put transitions in, etc. for $99--can't beat that with a stick because that software itself is close to that in price (although they typically give you and older version, which is how they bundle it so cheap---Ulead then hopes to get you to upgrade, but its not necessary by any means).

That box will take your big video from your camcorder and turn it into MPEG-2 DVD compliant files that are significantly smaller in size. At a pretty good quality, its roughly 2 Gigabytes per hour--for better quality, the file size increases, but not near as much as DV AVI.

13. erick295

erick295

I guess I will mention this again... I think this USB vs. Firewire debate is a mute point, because I've never seen a video camera that lets you capture with USB... I might be wrong but I don't think any such thing even exists.

14. Mulderator

Mulderator

The camera may not, but there are devices that connect from the camera to the computer. The device I linked to above has a firewire port for digital camera capture, but connects to the computer through a USB port. In fact, that is the preferred method to capture video in my opinion. As a practical matter, no one uses DV AVI--its too large--so why capture it onto your computer in the first place? :confused: Its much more efficient t capture it with a hardware MPEG encoder and never deal with the AVI. The only down side to that is some software programs have a difficult time with editing with MPEG over AVI, but that's becoming less and less significant as the MPEG technology evolves.

15. chatterjee

Thanks a lot Saxon,Linskyjack,Erick295 and Mulder.

USB vs.Firewire battle is going on here.I think Firewire should be the option,I should go for.Thre are some reasons-firstly I didn't get the quality I expected when I transfered the video via a USB cable.And secondly Saxon says Firewire is a must and linskyjack says Firewire is preferable.So,it's evident that Firewire gives better quality than USB.USB may give the good quality "if" it doesn't lose frames.So,why take risk?

@linskyjack

You asked me the purpose I'll put my video to.Assume that I want it to put to every use you mentioned i.e playing on Windows Media palyer,writing it to DVD etc.Would there be any qualitative difference if the video compressed in a format for the purpose of playing on Media player,is written on to a DVD?Please clarify.If it varies,I would like to write it on to a DVD and then play it on TV.What will be the correct compression format?In which way it would be done?

I'm not telling you about the quality I see in capture window but what I see after the capturing is complete,on Media player.

It's my pleasure to see such a a confident comment.I need your help,pls guide me.

I have also a few queries to make-

1>Will the quality of video be nehanced,if I add a graphics card?
    2>If I write it on a Cd instead of DVD,what will be the effect?
    3>Why is the video blurred while all movies are played smoothly without any glitch?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433785

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice