1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transfering data & ACLs from one server to another

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tta013, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tta013

tta013 Thread Starter

Hi all,

We have got 2 servers (old & new) under a domain. It was decided that some of the data & ACL from old server should be transfered to a new server. Both are on Win 2000 and has been setted up and up and running. Old server (ServerA) has a drive with 6 partations and a cople of Map Drives on it. Server has a drive with two partations (C & D).

To be honest, I don't know how to transfer data & ACL's and file permissions in tact to a new server (ServerB). I was advised to use NTBackup and when I looked around I found that xcopy and robocopy are available for the job.

We are a school and are on Folder Redirection environment. Also ACLs are server based rather than domain based so I also want to make sure that there is no problems when staff & pulpils come back and access to their files, even though both servers have different name.

Since the whole thing is completely beyond me, I would really appreciate if someone can help/guide/advise me through this.

Thanks in advances

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!