1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transfering data from desktop to laptop without turning desktop pc on?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by missi113, Jan 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. missi113

missi113 Thread Starter

Is it possible to transfer data from my desktop pc to my laptop pc without turning on my desktop pc? My desktop pc does not work and needs a new motherboard. I know I can take my PCs in to Best Buy and have them transfer the data for about $100. I'm hoping to do it myself and cheaper. Is there any specific equipment I can rent or buy to do this myself? The data I need transferred is from my old desktop is from a Dell Dimension XPS T500 to my new Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop. Any ideas?
    Thank you.

2. zeddy

zeddy

Plug the laptop harddrive into your PC.

3. missi113

missi113 Thread Starter

How do I do plug in my laptop to my desktop? A usb cable? And then what...it automatically downloads the info onto my laptop? No special software even for my laptop that does turn on? Though I have Win XP and I know it has some program to transfer data. Will that automatically start up and download the data?

Thanks

4. zeddy

zeddy

You turn your laptop upside down and unscrew the cover that holds your hard drive within it. Use an adaptor such as this one. And then you can connect the harddrive to your desktop as you would any other IDE drive.

5. zeddy

zeddy

Ignore my posts I read yours the wrong way around Laptop to Desktop!!!!

6. zeddy

zeddy

he easiest way is probably to buy an external drive caddy. These are fairly cheap and you can get them with USB or firewire connectors. Stick your PC drive in one and then plug it into your laptop via (e.g.)USB and the laptop will recognise it as a removable drive and you should be able to access the data on it.

7. zeddy

zeddy

here is an example of one of these enclosures. I expect they are a lot cheaper at newegg. Make sure you get one for a 3.5" drive (desktop) as opposed to a 2.5" (notebook) hard drive.

8. ceri sheeran

ceri sheeran

9. zeddy

zeddy

If just using an adaptor be careful not to damage your drive by having it lying prone to static outside the PC. An enclosure means you will be able to use the drive as permanent external storage or for back up purposes.

10. missi113

missi113 Thread Starter

Thank you both for the suggestions. I will look around and see what I can find. I also like the idea of having extra storage. Also, I apologize for the duplicate entry, I don't know how that happened, but it was not intentional.

Thanks again!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/195614

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice