1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transfering Data From Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mixx941, Dec 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

Hello everyone. I recently got a 160GB Maxtor 7200RPM hard drive.

In my system currently, I have 3 physical drives:

Maxtor 13GB 7200RPM (C: Windows Drive)
    Maxtor 40GB 7200RPM (D: Programs & Music)
    Maxtor 80GB 7200ROM (G: Video & Music)

Here's what I'd like to do. I'd like to put all of the contents from the 80GB (G drive) to the new 160GB. All of the contents from the 40GB (D drive) to the 80GB (G drive). And finally all the contents from the 13GB to the 40GB (D drive).

My plan was then to take the 13GB out and use it in my FreeBSD box.

I need to make sure though that when I transfer my data, that none of it gets lost, and all programs/software still works...which I guess would mean making sure that the 40GB became the "C" drive, the 80GB became the "D" drive, and the 160GB became the "G" drive.

How can I do this?

Thanks

-Mark

2. top_gizmo

top_gizmo

No, you are wrong.

The drive with windows will have to remain "C", programs will have to remain the "D", because that is how they were referenced when software was installed.

The way to do this is to lave then new drive, make it E. Create new partitions on it. Copy all data from the 80gb to it. that was the easy part. Now move all data from the 40 to the 80. Then GHOST the 13gb drive onto the 40gb drive and remove the 13gb drive. Reset the jumper on the 40gb to master and move your drives to the respective places on the IDE cable - master should be on the end.

3. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

I'm wrong? I think that was what I said, to retain the drive structure :confused:

That process sounds okay, but what if I dont have Ghost installed, and do not want a piece of Symantec software on my system again.

Can I just copy the data from 13GB to 40GB somehow and NOT use Ghost?

-Mark

4. wedor

wedor

Most of the drive makers have utilities on their site to transfer data from one drive to another. You would just use that software in the order you suggested and it should work fine.

5. WarC

WarC

Yeah, your Maxtor should come with a floppy with all the stuff you need.

6. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

I am going to backup all my music and documents and things on DVDs here real quick, but I'm wondering about converting my drives to NTFS from FAT32. How safe is this to do, and what's the command? (I know its in the command prompt) I would reinstall Windows, but I have hundreds of programs that were either freeware a few years ago and not available anymore, or I dont know where the CDs are...and I cant live without these programs.

Thanks

-Mark

7. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Just start from the "Bottom" and work your way up the list. That way you lose nothing. In fact you have 2 copies of it until you overwrite it with the next drive's data. The only problem that you may run into is with M$ if you are doing this with WinXP.........not likely though unless you have already done some hardware changes.

8. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

Should I keep them in their native formats? Like if I'm transfering the 40GB (Fat32 now) to the 80GB, should it still be FAT32 when I format it? Or can I do NTFS? I dont want to use FAT32 anymore.

-Mark

9. Karrat

Karrat

I use NTFS on my drives (i currently have...5) and i have had no problems.

-Karrat

10. DVOM

DVOM

You don't have to install Ghost. I run it from a floppy.

11. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

I know NTFS is better, but I was wondering since my D 40GB and C 13GB are both FAT32, should I have them be fat32 when I do the transfer?

12. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

Okay, I've got the 80GB copying to the new 160GB as we speak.

I guess my question is..when this is done, and I go to transfer the 40GB to the 80GB drive, should I format the 80GB drive, and if so should I format it NTFS if I want it NTFS, or leave it FAT32 like the 40GB drive is currently? Same with the 13GB to the 40GB.

-Mark

13. DVOM

DVOM

When you transfer your D to the 80G drive, because it's just a copy/paste type transfer, you can do it from a FAT32 to a NTFS file system.

However, transferring your OS drive is done by cloning and that will also copy the file system. So if you start with FAT32 you're going to end up with FAT32. However, that can be changed after the cloning.

14. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

Okay, here's what I did. I formatted the 80GB (G) drive to FAT32, and started the copy from within my MaxBlast software.

However, unlike the 80GB ==> 160GB transfer which took only an hour, the 40GB ==> 80GB started last night at about 10:30pm, and was only 70% complete this morning with an error.

I got 31.7GB transfered, out of a total 37.9GB on the drive.

I'm gonna go try it again, except the copy and paste way from inside Windows.

-Mark

15. mixx941

mixx941 Thread Starter

I tried that way, meaning a direct copy and paste from Windows from the 40GB to the 80GB, and it would stop after an hour saying that things were corrupt....

I'm back to the MaxBlast way. I've formatted the 80GB drive and created a 80GB partition FAT32 on that drive.

Does anyone have any ideas about why this is going so slow? Not even 1% in 10 minutes. Its still at 0%

-Mark

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/189989

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice