1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transfering Data From Old Computer To New Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LADS, Jan 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LADS

LADS Thread Starter

I currently have a Packard Bell computer and just purchased a new computer (HP). I want to transfer the files and programs from my old computer to my new computer. How can I do this?

2. brianF

brianF

You really can't transfer programs from one hard drive to another on different machines and have them work.
    Programs need to be installed on the new machine to install all the files and registry keys to allow it to work.
    You can copy data files over and use them with the program once you have installed it on the new machine.

Easiest way is to take the hard drive out of the old machine, rejumper it to slave and install it on the new machine.
    Copy what you want, then remove the drive, jumper to original settings, and reinstall on the original machine.

If both machines have network cards you can use a crossover cable to network them together.

3. johnivey

johnivey

I have one computer that is fully fuctionable. I mean monitor, printer, keyboard, mouse, scanner. I have an old cpu that I want to use for storage. (no monitor) ............. how can I use a crossover cable to 'hook up' these two and download information for back up to the old cpu

4. pyre

pyre

I cannot vouch for this software yet as I am waiting for it to arrive with my new laptop, but I am hoping that it will make my file transfer from old to new painless. Perhaps a member out there has tried this or knows of reviews. It looks good on paper but......time will tell.

[edit]fixed link

5. slipe

slipe

LADS: brianF’s suggestion to plug the old HD into the new computer is far and away the best, but if you are intimidated by that you can connect them with a null modem cable and use Hyperterminal in Windows to transfer the files. Null modem cables come in both parallel and serial with parallel being faster: http://www.vision.net.au/~timotsc/null/nullmodem.htm Cables: http://www.cable4pc.com/null.htm DB9 is serial and DB25 is parallel. They are both slow – serial is just slower.

The software that pyre linked should be credible since Dell sells it. If you happen to have had Cleansweep in your computer and it monitored the installs of your programs it will also do a good job of transferring programs to another computer. It will do it for programs it did not monitor but the results are less than perfect.

johnivey: The same for you on the transfer. Since all you are using on the old box is the hard drive anyway, just move it to the new computer as slave to the one already installed. Networking is cheap if you use internal 10/100 cards, but as long as you are going to open both computers you might just as well move the HD. You can network without opening the box with USB ethernet cards but that is pricier. Better to just buy a second hard drive. You can use the null modem cable which is cheap and you don’t have to open the box, but it is slow for normal use.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66581

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice