1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

transfering data from old laptop to new

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dukeoflou, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dukeoflou

dukeoflou Thread Starter

Hi,

thanks for all the help. You guys are the best.

My old computer is:

IBM Thinkpad 365XD with windows 98

No USB ports.

I have an external 3.5 floppy drive which can't connect to my new computer.

New computer:

toshiba satellite C650D windows 7

I bought a prolific USB to Serial adapter and added a mini gender changer to connect to old computer.

I have (through much trial and error) gotten both computers to accept the driver install and in device manager they are both looking like the computers have excepted the port connection.

the old is on port 5 and the new is on port 3.

What I can't do is actually transfer files. Or at this point have no clue what to do next. I thought some extra drive would show up or some sort of tranfer software would start like when you download pictures from a camera or something.

On the new computer I go into devices and printers and it says that the prolific USB to Serial Port is unspecified.

I really don't know what else to tell you. I hope you can help. The old computer is really on its last legs and want the files before it crashes for good. I am now constantly having to reset the time and date for the computer (not windows) and it has been saying there is registry errors in windows when I first start. When I reboot everything is fine.

Thanks.

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I recommend removing the hard disk from the old computer and connecting it to the new computer via an external USB hard disk enclosure or adapter.

Here are a couple that will work:

These have AC adapters. I recommend you use one with an AC adapter as the old disk might need more power than your new computer's USB port will supply. To be clear, it might work without the AC adapter; but, why chance more problems.

There are other methods. If the old computer has an ethernet port, you might could connect it to the network, share the drive and let your new computer discover it on the network. Networking an Windows 98 system might not be easy for a neophyte so I think the USB enclosure might be the best bet route to take.

3. dukeoflou

dukeoflou Thread Starter

No ethernet connection on the old laptop.

So the cable connection I bought won't work?

I have never removed a harddrive from a laptop before. I will have to look into that.

Man, they don't make transfers all that easy.

I may just put the files I really want on floppy drive and find someone to e-mail the files to me...that could prove just as hard...

I appreciate the advice.

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

If all of the files you want will actually fit on a floppy, meaning none are larger than 1.44 megs, put them on a floppy and then go out and get yourself a USB floppy drive and copy them to the new computer. If any of the files are larger than will natively fit onto a floppy, it can then get complicated with learning how to span floppies using PKZip. But, let's not borrow trouble. It may be they are all smaller than 1.44 megs.

There are a few in this list, just scroll down to find them. They may also be found at Walmart and Best Buy, probably at slightly higher prices. I bought one at Walmart about two years ago for $40. They actually work.

Heads up: If the USB floppy drive is connected when the computer is turned on, the computer may try to boot from the floppy so don't connect the drive until after POST (power on self test) or until you see the Windows logo or later.

5. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

As for the USB-to-serial adapter, those were always a shot in the dark for me.

6. dukeoflou

dukeoflou Thread Starter

Thanks. I will look into the floppy drive. The files are old Word docs and such and should be okay on the floppies.

It would have been cheaper than the $40+ I spent on the adapters and cables...

Louis

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975932

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice