1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

transfering data off my harddrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by andyyates2002, Aug 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andyyates2002

andyyates2002 Thread Starter

hi guys

first time posting on here, hope iv posted this in the right area, apologies if not! basically my computer has stopped loading up windows, its takes me to the load up options screen (safe mode, last known config, start windows normally screen etc etc) and when i choose an option it just begins the reboot process again and again! iv tried using windows recovery off the XP cd using some methods iv found on various forums but to no avail.

basically iv resigned myself to having to reload windows from scratch but want to know how i go about (trying) to save all the files on my harddrive that im loathed to lose in the process! i have a second computer that i can use as a base but would appreciate some advice, detailed i fpossible, on how i go about getting the said files onto the second computer from the harddrive from my redundant computer

any help would be greatly appreciated

andy

2. AgentDuncan38

AgentDuncan38

Try taking the hd out of the one computer and puttting it in the second computer you have.Use it as a slave or second drive.Then copy your files to the C drive of the other drive.Remove the second drive and then re-install windows and then transfer your files back.

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

There are a number of ways to transfer data between machines. You can do it with a special USB cable, if both machines have ethernet adapters you can do it with an ethernet crossover cable, if you have a router you can just share files between machines.

IMO, the best method is to purchase an external USB hard drive, transfer the data to that drive, do your reformatting and then transfer the saved data back to the reformatted machine. By using the USB external hard drive you don't have to involve a second machine.

After the transfer is complete you still have an external hard drive you can use as one backup for important data.

If you are interested in using USB to transfer the data between machines just do a Google search for transferring data with a USB cable (Note: You cannot use a standard USB cable to transfer data between two machines). If you are interested in transferring with an ethernet crossover cable, just do a Google search for transferring data with an ethernet crossover cable. I'm sure you will find tutorials for transferring by each method.

4. saikee

saikee

Take a look at this thread

You will be please to know that you data can be read and salvaged by any free inux Live CD.

You could buy a hard disk, size larger than the existing unit, put it into a external hard disk enclosure and hook up as a usb device.

Boot up a Linux live CD, clone the disk out, take a look at all your files, play MP3, surf the net, edit Word documents, spread sheets or even watch movies while a clone is generated at the back ground.

When you have cloned the disk out, swap it with the original, put away the old disk for safe keeping and start to do whatever you need with the bad Windows.

My thread was not written for salvage a Windows hard drive but cloning is equally successful for a good or bad MS system. I have done a few disks for friends and members of family and the recovery rate is 99.99%. The method works for any PC system and any number of PC systems in the hard disk.

5. andyyates2002

thankyou all for your replys. agentduncan38, your method seems the easiest in my very untechnical head. are there any other details i need to be aware of before i proceed with this? does the harddrive need to be compatable with the hardware in the second computer? do i have to do anything to ensure the settings are established properly with regards to making the 'dodgy' hard-drive the slave in its new host computer or will that happen automatically?

additionally, are there any possible problems that may occur by carrying out this procedure and are there any risks of damaging/causing problems within the second computer that il be putting my hard-drive into?

6. andyyates2002

win2kpro.....will i be able to use these methods considering i can't get into windows on my machine?

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

No, you will have to install the drive in another machine and hope that you will be able to see the files when the drive is installed.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

No friend a hard drive is a hard drive so it will work in any pc using ide hard drives where you have less than 4 ide devices plugged in, but you will need to set jumpers to slave and be certain the other drive is master.
    http://www.wdc.com/en/library/eide/2579-001037.pdf

9. andyyates2002

thanks guys, i really appreciate the advice.

so i came to opening up my dads computer to put my harddrive in and was presented with a new problem. my hard-drive uses SATA connections whilst my dads Dell uses IDE (is that right, as i say im a bit of a novice at all this but learning more and more as i go which is quite good!) so i don't seem to be able to connect my hard-drive. also, there doesnt appear to be any physical space to put in an extra drive anyway! i had a search around the internet and found that adaptors exist that change from one to another.

as an aside (or insert) my computer has 4 SATA connections on its motherboard, only one of which at the moment is being used (by the HDD [is that the right abbreviation?]). its also has ample drive bays to be filled. However, my dads dell only has 3 IDE connections, all 3 of which are being taken up (by the floppy, the CD and the HDD).

therefore, (and the point of this post) would i be able to get an adaptor which allowed me to connect my dads IDE HDD to my own SATA compatable motherboard, leave my HDD in and configure them in bios so that my dads HDD ran as the master and my own as the slave, then proceed as though id simply been able to put my HDD into my dads computer in the first place nad transfer files from my HDD to my dads? otherwise, with the information i have given, what would you suggest i do? (if there are any alternatives!)

many thanks

andy

ps my local computer shop said there was no way of adapting the SATA HDD to the IDE motherboard or the IDE HDD to the Sata motherboard and yet said they could retrieve my data and reload windows for £70, but i felt he wasn't being overly honest about my options in order to make an easy buck (hope iv not become so cynical at such a tender age!:) )

10. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

12. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

This'll cost a little more ... But here's what I'd do (did) .. and maybe cheaper than what the shop wanted.
    Get a new SATA HDD ... Install it and load windows fresh.
    Then install your old HDD to SATA port (1) .. and transfer your Data to the new HDD in SATA port (0)

Once your new drive is setup and running ... You can Clone it back to the old drive.
    Then you'll have a working (bootable) spare (backup) ... And never have this problem again.

You can also use the old HDD as backup storage for your new DATA.

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

You can use 4 ide devices in your dad's and the easiest cheapest solution is buy another ide cable with 2 connectors on it. Take the hard drive off the single connector and jumper it master and yours as slave and do not worry about room to place the drve. Just support the drive in one way with or another with power and ide cables in, leave the case cover off and do what you have to do with the unit open. I have to caution you on the other suggestions as usb to ide cable converters often don't work from pc to pc and the external cases can be problematic for someone doing this thing for the first time.

14. andyyates2002

rich-m

so ur saying i could connect my hard-drive and my dads hard-drive to his motherboard using a double-ended IDE cable so as to use only one slot? and that would involve me using an IDE-SATA adaptor in order to give my own SATA based hard-drive the IDE connection needed to connect it to my dads motherboard?

15. saikee

saikee

£1.99 or US$ 3.99 for

IDE to Sata or Sata to IDE adaptor.

All here

Haven't use them before but in the past people used controllers which are more expensive and require a PCI slot to plug in.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/605079

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice