1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transfering data

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lisaa7002, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lisaa7002

lisaa7002 Thread Starter

Hey guys!

I did the search on this topic, and found loads of info, but none that really cleared things up for me.

We need to transfer things from a HD on one pc to another pc. I saw that you can (possibly) get a wire to do this, but saw it called two different things (unless they WERE two different things!)

The 2 mentioned were a crossover wire or a ethernet cable.

A.- if I go to buy either of these things how do I know what to get?

B.- How do I know if I can use either of these? What jack does he have to have & how do I find out if he has it?

As usual you guys are GOLD! Thanks!!!! Lisa

2. lisaa7002

lisaa7002 Thread Starter

3. winbob

winbob

Lisaa,

Does the old clunker even have a USB Port :confused:

The cable you cited is for USB.

Perhaps if you Post the Make/Mdl of the 2 PC's it would be easier to define the options.

Usually the best option is to install one of the drives (source or target) into the 'other' machine and transfer directly...fastest transfer rate possible.

Of course, if the 'old' PC will not support the newer drive due to its size, then a machine to machine data transfer would be required....much slower.

4. harpm

harpm

Best plan is if both have nic cards to connect ethernet cable and map a drive.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

If you are talking NT-based systems, you can use this free version software to access the drives of one machine from another without even booting the operating system of the client machine. These programs are read-only in the free versions and are intended for data recovery, but by reversing host and client machines, data can be transferred in both directions.

Remote Recover (TCP/IP over ethernet card)
    NTRecover (null-modem serial cable)

6. lisaa7002

lisaa7002 Thread Starter

The old pc is an IBM 6577KBT. & we are transfering to a Compaq Presario X2.0 they both have usb ports. He was assuming he would have to use a jump drive to transfer so the speed isn't going to be a major factor. Just really something that won't take Forever & is cheep.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Look in Help and Support for "Direct Cable Connection".

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323760

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice