1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transfering emails from Gmail to Yahoo?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by lokeshtomar, Sep 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lokeshtomar

lokeshtomar Thread Starter

Hello All,

Please suggest me is this is a good idea. I have approx. 10 GB of emails stored in my Gmail account. Since Gmail offer only 15 GB of the free space, I had to create a new account and start using it. I see Yahoo Mail! give 1 TB of emails storage? I already have one yahoo account. I have below questions:

1. How can I transfer emails from Gmail to Yahoo (easy and quick, I already know the MS outlook way - accessing IMAP of both and then transferring from one account to another simply by moving, its time consuming and hangs all time)
    2. Is is okay to transfer to Yahoo! Would I be facing any trouble with it? Like accessing mails. Often seen, yahoo has pathetic user interface and not comfortable to use.
    3. Any other way for email storage, I just wanna free space from my loved Gmail account and continue using it.

Thanks for all help!

Lokesh

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    imap is the best way to do that.
    OR setup another gmail account and again use imap to transfer
    Or outlook.com , which has unlimited email space - BUT will limit how much can be used uploaded in a day - if you load say 1GB you may have to wait a couple of days to load the rest , not sure what those bandwidth usage limits actually are

It maybe the hanging , is because you are using your upload bandwidth , which maybe very low

3. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

IMAP dosen't download the messages, so they'll still be stored on Gmail's servers. If you delete them from Gmail, they'll be deleted from Yahoo. 10GB is a lot of e-mail. If you're saving large attachments or lots of pictures, you might want to rethink that strategy.

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    dpending on the settings, it can download the headers or the full email and attachment and save in an OST file on outlook 2013 for offline access or PST for earlier versions of outlook. Also other clients will download the email

if you delete from gmail - they will not delete from yahoo - I have this setup on quite a few clients , where emails are transfered between low storage domain names (100mb or 400mb) and moved using IMAP to gmail and outlook.com accounts

5. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

How do you get the OST file contents from Outlook into Yahoo? Downloading 10GB of email from Google to Outlook doesn't answer the question of how to get it into Yahoo.

I've noodled over this exact issue before. I've never found a way to "move" email messages from one online service to another short of forwarding everything to the new account.

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you just copy or move from one account to the other - if they are setup to IMAP
    As i say I do this all the time with various email accounts
    The only issue is if you setup outlook365/2013 the program and the account is setup as EAS it wont work - theres a bug in Outlook365/2013 thats stops emails being moved into that email account - which I tried to resolve with MS yesterday for 3 hours and not fixed.
    You can set-up the outlook.com account in outlook365/2014 program as imap - but then calendar and contacts wont sync

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1155849

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice