Transfering files from one HD to another.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tylerjohn

I just had a eMachines 6524 puke on me. I'm hoping the HD wasn't the reason. I was given a Dell 2400 (don't laugh, I maxed out the ram and CPU). The Dell has an IDE HD. The eMachines had a IDE HD. Is there any reason I can't connect the old HD to the IDE jumper cable and transfer data and software(not programs). I realize the master and slave settings would have to be correct. It would seem so straight forward but I'm sure I'm overlooking things. Any advice would be great. Tyler John

cwwozniak

Chuck
If the old computer had password protected accounts, you may need to go through a "taking ownership'" process of gaining access to the files when connected to the working computer. Microsoft has Knowledge Base articles that explain the steps that need to be done.

Here is the article for Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

When I was working as a tech all we done was slot the hard drive into an enclosure, connect via usb, open the user account (Gain access if Windows 7) drag and drop files.

Follow the above link otherwise if XP, Judging from your RAM it is an XP machine.

You can take ownership easily with WinOwnership. Just start the program and drag and drop any file or folder you can't access into the program's window.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online