Transfering Files with Patch Cable??

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

thomastj80

I have a CAT 5e crossover cable with the intent of transferring documents from one computer to another. How do I go about transferring these files? Do I need to establish a computer network? If so, how do I do that? Both computers are Windows XP. In addition, I need to transfer outlook contacts including activities under the contacts from one computer to another. How do I go about this? Much Thanks!

You do need to create a network to do it. Just run the network wizard and it should find your connection betwen the two. This thread should probably be in the networking section of the forum

You can transfer files port to port with a crossover cable without creating a network. As long as both ports are enabled and all other networks for both computers are disabled, if the IP addresses don't conflict, you can map one box's drives on the other computer. That's how I usually do it.

Disable all the other NICs (if there are any), then give one a static IP address 192.168.1.1; give the other 192.168.1.2. You should be able to map drives using computer names.

(Technically speaking, that is establishing a network, but probably not what you were thinking about.)

HTH

chris.

[edit]
I don't know about transferring contacts and such though, sorry.
[/edit]

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online