Transfering folders to another hard drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

gil999

Hi everyone, I would like to transfer folders to another hard drive, is there a program that will transfer the folders and modify the registry entries for them? Thanks in advance.

gil999

Thanks, Savvy but Xcopy won't work. I don't need to clone a drive or directories , I need to transfer programs . If the program is running on my C drive and I want to copy it to my D drive , I need a program that will modify the registry and shortcuts so the program will run on the new drive without reinstalling it. I'm pretty sure there's something out there that can do this.

I was afraid of that... its over my head again...lol

Maybe someone else will offer some help here ...

Cleansweep will do that. It does a great job if you monitored the original install with fast analysis turned OFF and csinject active. It will move programs to another drive or transport them to another computer.

It is spotty at moving and transporting stuff if it didn’t completely monitor the install. It tries to get the registry entries. I think Uninstaller does the same thing and they both have free 30 day demos.

http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,,22652,.htmlFrom the developer:

Second Copy

"This major upgrade to Second Copy 97 adds many new features. Second Copy 2000 copies files and folders from one location to another on the same drive, another drive, or across the network.
You can set up profiles that describe the source location, the destination location, and the frequency at which you want to copy the files. Second Copy monitors the source files for changes or additions and then automatically copies the new or changed files to their designated destinations. The program uses the familiar Windows Explorer interface. It has an easy-to-use setup profile wizard that makes configuration jobs a snap.

That ought to do it

Savvy :)

gil999 needs something to pull an installed program up by the roots and move it to another drive. A copy program won’t do that – it just copies the files over without re-establishing registry entries and shared .dll and .vxd files.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts