transfering hard drive to new computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Rev Darkwing

I just bought this new computer and I want to move everything from my laptop hard drive onto this hard drive. I have a router so I think I can connect the two together but have never done it before. Is there a way I can get everything on the hard drive moved onto the new computer so I don't have to reinstall everything?

Thanks for any advice. (Both have Windows XP)

If yuu have a network then just network both computers together and hsare the hard drives and copy your files from one hard drive to the other.

You could use the File and Settings Transfer Wizard. Click Start \ All Programs \ Accessories \ System Tools \ File and Settings Transfer Wizard. Your new computer can have any Windows OS from 95 up, not including Server! Check out this link for a step by step; File and Settings Transfer Wizard

Lance

Rev Darkwing

Does this ever get easy? I have tried setting up the local network with my wireless router. both computers connect to the router just fine but for some reason, even though they both can see each other, they can't communicate.

I have purchased the necessary PC to PC file data transfer cable (9 pin female female) and installed it on Com port 1 on the laptop and on Com 1 and later Com 2 on the new PC. Running the wizard, when I click on both wizards to autofind the connection or when I select the appropriate com port and hit next.. they say they are looking to set up communications with the other computer and that it may take a minute.....

I have waited as long at 10 minutes and all they do is sit there and the the magnifying glass keeps going round and round but never the connection. I have checked the device manager and all say all is working. I even made sure they both match with the various items. The laptop was on xon xoff and the PC was set to none for flow control so I changed the laptop to none .

it simply isn't working. any idea on what may be wrong?

What OS do they both have?

If it's XP have you gone to my network places and setup a network connection.

Do they both have the same login name and password? If not, make it that way.

Can you see each PC when you view workgroup connections?

Rev Darkwing

Old computer has XP Pro.. new has XP Home. Different passwords for Admin. I tried to set up work group.. and it seemed to do it and they can see each other but when I try to connect.. i get ||computer is not accessible. You might not nave permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find our if you have access permissions.
The network path was not found.

in XP both the login and the passwords have to be the same

*Credit to Bob Cerrelli*

Also, you must right click the drives on each PC and choose sharing & security if you have not.

Then in control panel, click view network connections and if the NIC is showing firewalled click "change settings in the menu box to the left and turn off the firewall until set-up.

Rev Darkwing

Thanks, I will give that a try and report the results. It would be nice if Microsoft bothered telling us poor fools about password matching and the rest of these tips you gave. Try and find em on their help pages.. NOT!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online