Transfering old files

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Servant1975

My old laptop died when my baby spilled juice on it. It does not come on at all. Is there a way I can connect it to my new laptop and download my pictures. My wife is going crazy because we don't have back ups. My old one is an Inspiron 6000, the new one is an Inspiron 1525. Thank you for any help you can provide. Would prefer a free method.

You will need to remove the hard drive and either buy an external case for it or at least an adapter to run it from USB. If the laptop doesn't come on, you need to get power to the drive somehow, so it looks like it will have to come from an external source.

The cheapest way to do it would be to buy an adapter to connect it to some obliging friend's desktop internally. Those only cost around $5 some places.

It would be a good idea for you to learn some methods of backing up computers. A disk imaging program would caot less than $50 and save you lots of repair costs and recovery costs (as well as heartache) if a machine became unbootable.

Depends on the hard drive and desktop. You'll have to find out what kind of drive is in it. If it it jusy a standard 3.5" IDE drive, and the desktop has standard IDE drives, then you just need a 3.5" to 5.25" IDE-to-IDE adapter, and you get power from a power connector on the desktop, If it's a fairly new laptop, it may be a SATA connector.

What make/model?

So, you need to find out what kind of drive it is (a model number would be best) and find a desktop with an unused connector (you can always disconnect a CD-ROM or something temporarily)..

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online