1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transfering old MS Works files to New MS Works files

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by mrobita23, May 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrobita23

mrobita23 Thread Starter

Does anyone know if it is possible to take my old MS Works 2003 files and transfer them to my knew computer which has the latest MS Works and be able to work on and save them?

2. Sponsor

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

They should be fully compatible

What happens when you save them to a CD or USB flash drive, trasfer them and open (then save them) to the new computer?

4. wacor

wacor Banned

i have over the years had no problem saving and transfering Word, Spreadsheet and Database files from an old computer to a new one. I am guessing that if you tried to do the opposite it might not work though.

5. mrobita23

mrobita23 Thread Starter

sorry for the late response but to answer your question Kiwiguy when I copy my old MS Works spreadsheet files to a cd and transfer them to my knew cpu with the new MS Works I can open them and read them fine but when I try to change them (work on them) and save them, when I open the file back up it doesn't save the changes, it stays the same as it was, like a read only file basically. I would think I could work on and save them like normal in the new program. I'm pretty sure you can do that with different versions of word and excell ect.. Maybe MS Works is different, it usually is :).

6. Lochworks

Lochworks

Remove the "Read Only" attribute from all the files and you should be fine. Highlight all the files, right-click - Properties and uncheck the "Read Only" checkbox.

7. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

All files transferred via CD will be "read only", as that is the nature of CDs. Its not a problem as such, it's more a consequence of using a CD as the transfer medium.

You must copy them from the CD to the hard drive to work on them though.

Removing the read ony attribute as above should work fine, once they are copied across.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/467938