1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transfering Photos

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by ice427, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ice427

ice427 Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have just got a Finepix F480 digital camera. The software for this camera is so slow at transferring pictures. Well transferring pictures isn't so bad, but it takes at least 3 or 4 minutes to start. This isn't just on my computer either. Googling this software results in the same complaint, the software is slow and freezes for other people.

Anyhow I have been trying out different programs and XP itself to transfer the photos. I think XP is the easiest way for me, but because I am using the camera between two computers I need the photos left on the camera. So when I connect it back upto the computer and it starts copying the lastest photos it prompts me and asks if I wish to overwrite the files I transfered earlier. Holding shift and clicking No does not do a thing unfortunatly. Any ideas why this handy trick decides not to work when I need it to?

I have tried other programs but they come with image editors and its too complicated for what I want to do.

The camera does not show up as a drive letter to make things more complicated.

Is there any way to make a batch file to get these photos *copied* to a folder without overwriting anything automatically? I am not so sure of doing this when the camera connects without a drive letter.

Thanks

2. edhicks

edhicks

ice427
    Welcome to this great forum.
    Sorry I can't give you a definitive quick answer, but others will probably do so.
    In the meantime explore the sticky about Free photo editing at top of forum page.
    Your answer will be covered in it somewhere.

A second thought go to http://picasa.google.com/thanks.html
    and download picasa3. It's import from camera should answer you problem

Good Luck and keep us posted

3. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

I second the possible Picasa solution. Its pretty straightforward to use, very good in not overwriting anything and can even use its own data base to tell you which photos you've already downloaded off the camera if you don't delete them from the media card after each download session.

4. mrss

mrss Guest

Are you using a memory card? Fuji's usually take XD and SD cards. I'd go with the SD card because (a) cheaper, (b) faster and (c) more support from card readers. Then you might consider a card reader, which will be assigned a drive letter.

As far as the camera not being assigned a drive letter, maybe this procedure might help if you're using XP.

1) Left Click START, select RUN and enter compmgmt.msc in the dialog box

2) When the Computer Management screen opens, select "Disk Management" on the left side. See if your Fuji shows up as a disk drive without a letter. If so, you may be able to change that.

5. ice427

ice427 Thread Starter

Hi all,

Thanks for all the fast replies. I will have to check out that sticky.

I have tried Picasa but its very slow at loading the photos. Once it has loaded them, you can then transfer them. The whole process is surprisingly slow. It was actually a nice program too.

I had already checked disk management, nothing showed up :(

I do have a card reader. But before this camera, I had a camera that didn't connect to the usb and I had to use the reader. It was abit tiresome, I was hoping that with this new camera plugging in the cable would be quicker lol.

Thanks again

6. muppy03

muppy03

First Name:
    Chris
    when you say you then tried xp to transfer do you mean the scanner and camera wizard?

7. Knotbored

Knotbored

Perhaps the camera and/or card reader needs USB2 and your computer is older and does not have that capability?
    I do use a card reader not a cord from the camera and finnd it much quicker and more convenient, with the added benefit of not risking lose of photos if the camera battery runs down while downloading.

8. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Yeah, if Picasa is slow its most likely because the card/camera is slow or the connection is slow or/and the photos are hefty in the megapixel area.

9. ice427

ice427 Thread Starter

I did use camera and scanner wizard but then set it up through XP to just copy. If shift and no worked, then there would be no problem. But it doesn't want to work.

I do have USB 2.0. Although the hefty pixel idea might be the problem as I still have it on 8 megapixels, which I keep forgetting to change.

I will lower the megapixels and try Picasa again. I think at least 3 - 4 megapixels is fine. The card as well isn't anything special, so that may be killing the speed too.

Thanks.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757979

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice