Transfering Slave HDD from ME to XP

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

holyfong

Hi Folks,

I have just ordered a New 2.8G Dell 4600 with an 80G disk as standard. However I also want to move a hard drive from my old Gateway 233mmx running ME. This disk is configured as the slave to the original 4G disk.

Will I have any issues in simply removing the disk from the old PC and connecting it (as slave ) to the XP machine?

Will XP pick it up automatically?
Will there be any Filesystem issues? NTFS/FAT etc.

Any help much appreciated...
Holyfong

You should not have a problem. Just make sure you go into bios and set it to detect the slave drive. Xp should have no problem ntsf/fat32. My one hard drive is fat 32 and other ntsf and no problem.

holyfong

Jerry,

XP won't auto-detect the Drive once its installed?
If not, will I need to get any info from the BIOS on my current PC?

Holyfong

It will detect it just fine. It may show up as mine did as F drive but presents that no problem.

holyfong

Hopefully so, If not I'll be back on here

Thanks for the help
Holyfong

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online