1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

transfering windows 8 to ssd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by danferd13, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. danferd13

danferd13 Thread Starter

ok so i just got myself an ssd to put in my computer and i was wondering if there is any way to transfer just windows 8 to the ssd without having to reinstall EVERYTHING!?!

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You can clone your existing drive however that copies the complete drive; not just windows.

There are other things to consider as well;
    1 A ssd type drive needs a different partition offset than a mech drive. If you use the latest version of acronis to clone, acronis will recognize a ssd and apply the correct offset.
    2 You will have to manually enable TRIM for the ssd
    3 Some things that run on a schedule ie defrag, etc will have to be manually turned off

All of these things are done for you automatically when you clean install either win7 or win8. Cloning the drive requires you to do them manually.

FWIW I would just clean install the os. An install from a bootable usb3 drive on to a ssd takes all of 10min or so.

3. danferd13

danferd13 Thread Starter

ok cool so if i install windows on the ssd is there a way to uninstall windows on the hdd so it just has all my files (lots of games and music)? XD

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No. If you install windows, you must install your programs as well. When a program installs itself, it copies files to its own folder AND the windows and or window\system32 folder. Along with those files are registry entries that point to the relevant file. In short if you want to clean install windows, you must install your apps as well.

5. danferd13

danferd13 Thread Starter

ahhhhh ok sounds logical haha so can i just copy my users folder over to the "new" OS so i have all my music,documents stuff like that?

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Data files are fine to copy; you cannot copy program folders and expect them to work.

7. danferd13

danferd13 Thread Starter

so i installed windows 8 on my SSD how would i delete everything off my HDD and make it a data drive also make it my second drive while my SSD is my main (OS) drive?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If you want to delete everything, simply format the drive. This can be done in disk management or my computer. Note this destroys ALL data on the disk so be sure there is nothing you need on the drive.

9. danferd13

danferd13 Thread Starter

hey man thanks for the help definetly gonna come back here for more help!

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082672

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice