Transferng OS and program files to new HDD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

art331

First off, I'm not sure if this question belongs here or somewhere else.....

I'm thinking of buying a new (bigger) HDD.

What I am wondering is, is it possible to just copy the contents of my current HDD to the new one? or do you know if I can make a Ghost image of my current HDD (with the OS) and just install that? Or if you know of any other ways to do this, let me know.

I'd really prefer to avoid having to install Windows and all of my programs again

BTW, I am running Windows XP SP2

Thanks in advance

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Yep, you can make a backup image file of your system on a different disk, or you can simply clone the old drive to the new drive. Acronis True Image or Norton GHOST will do this easily. WD and Maxtor also have utilities on their sites to clone your disk, and they're free.

bearone2

Banned
a different perspective:

i keep docs, address book on floppies, music is on cd's and do fresh installs, removing/creating partions/formatting and reinstall all the apps and it's all fresh.

if you had/have any problems on the old hd, you'll have 'em on the new one too.

i used ghost before it was tied to norton and found that the time it takes to xfer to the new hd can be shorter than reloading everything but if stuff doesn't work right, you end up doing the fresh install anyway.:cool:

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
However, it takes all of 10-15 minutes to clone a disk, and you're on your way. Obviously, if you have issues with the current installation, the option to re-install still exists. :)

Hi,
For transfering my data from old HDD onto new, I use Acronis True Image, it has ""Clone Disk" tool that allows you to do it very quickly and easy.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online