1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transferring a 200 gb folder from one hard drive to another

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Cadmandu, Nov 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cadmandu

Cadmandu Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dan
    Hi all
    I have a full drive with win 7 32 bit its red lining. I'm installing a 1 tb with win pro 64 bit tomorrow. How can I transfer this large folder from the old drive to the new. The folder has many many other folders buried in it. They are full of vids and MP3 and PDFs. I tried to do a copy folder to a 250 gb flash drive that was formatted fat32ex with some success but it did not copy the nested folders.
    Thanks

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    You can install, unless only 1 hard disk is possible, the old drive as a second disk. Then just do a simple copy and paste. Or, get an external device from which you can attach the old drive and do the same.

3. Cadmandu

Cadmandu Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dan
    Thank for the response. I will be installing the old drive as a slave and want to do a copy and paste but this did not work using my flash drive. Maybe the nested or sub folders were the problem. Can I use backup to send this large folder to my new drive.
    Thanks

4. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Did you get an error message when you tried to copy the first time? There should be no reason it would not have worked, unless there was insufficient space or the file/folder names were too long (if that's even still an issue).
    You should certainly be able to copy them to an external drive (HDD or flash) and then copy them back onto the new drive.

5. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Mark. I agree with you. There's no obvious reason why the flash drive didn't allow the copy. Unless, of course, that the original drive has all files compressed and it ran out of space. Also, yes, the length of file names/folder names can still be an issue. Why? I have no clue, but I still see it from time to time. Maybe there's a limit to the total number of characters allowed in the whole tree? I'm, once again, not sure.

I think inserting the drive as a slave or second drive is the best option. There's no expense and the copying will be a lot faster.

6. Cadmandu

Cadmandu Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dan
    No messages just somes sub folders were empty. And some had mp3 files that were present but would not play. These files are large and came from faststrings thru Nova file. These are music video teaching files with vob mp3 pdf

7. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Did you use copy/paste? Or try to drag the folders? I would try to drag them from one drive to the other. If you still have trouble, copy them in smaller chunks, and verify they work afterwards.

8. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  9. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Actually, Allan, in the original post it mentions the current use of Win7 32-bit.

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I missed that, thanks for pointing it out Mark.

11. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  12. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Another item to consider, that every space in a file name or folder adds 3 characters to the full path as they are converted to %20.

13. Cadmandu

Cadmandu Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dan
    Thanks guys I will be installing the 1tb drive and win 7 64 bit in a few minutes here after my coffee. I was going to do a drag and drop but thought that might be like cut and paste is it? Should I hook up my new drive as a slave and partition format and install the new software. Should I use a HD format software like acronis or just connect new drive as the c drive and install from disk. Does it pay to partion a place on the drive just for Windows. If so would the disk become c and d drive? Sorry for all the questions.

14. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    Well, I thought you already had installed Windows on the new drive. If that's not the case I'd recommend that you download Seagate Disc Wizard. You can create a bootable Flash drive and then "just" clone the old drive to the new one. It will, in case you were wondering, ask you if you want to expand the partition(s) to reflect the larger drive capacity.

If you already did install windows on the new drive? Then I'd just put it in as a second drive. Drag and Drop folders from the old to the new on. If you, for whatever reason, get the same result with empty folders and whatever else? Then go halfway in to the tree of the old drive and copy the upwards folders and files to a folder/directory located on the root (C:\) of the new one. After checking that all is ok then you can copy from the place you stopped last to the bottom of the tree and you'll get the rest of the data. That should eliminate the possible issue with too many characters in the path.

Good luck.

Cadmandu likes this.
  15. Cadmandu

Cadmandu Thread Starter

First Name:
    Dan
    Thank Morten, I got the used drive and win 7 64 bit disc just yesterday in the mail. I'm really glad I was busy blowing leaves and waited. This forum is such a blessing and you guys are so informed. My old drive is a 250 gb very full and has win 7 32 bit. So I don't won't that operating system on my new drive.
    Thanks for the good idea on the seagate software for cloning. Should I use software to format and partition the new drive using the old drive to operate the software. I found a win 7 sp1 install on this site glad I waited I will use it.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218821

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice