1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transferring Amiga text files to pc

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by hbookieray, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hbookieray

hbookieray Thread Starter

I have a lot of text files done with Textcraft for the old Amiga computer (which still works like a charm, whereas I had to send this Gateway laptop for repairs twice in two years). They are, of course, on three and a half inch floppies. What I wish to do is transfer those files to my laptop and convert each one into a Word document (actually, I use OpenOffice).

My Amiga has a second, external drive which has a port (serial?) on the back and a toggle switch. I probably have the cable I need, though I imagine I would need a serial-to-usb adapter. Is there such a thing? And I need to know what sort of software I would need.

I don't suppose I would need any special software running on the Amiga. I guess what I am wondering is if there is a way to make my laptop view the Amiga's external drive as just another drive. And after that, will OpenOffice be able to read those files or will I need a special software to convert them to Word format?

Sorry if my spelling is off. I'm on some medication. I feel just fine, some of the words I'm typing just look funny to me.

2. Ziggy1

Ziggy1

wow flashback...I started with the Com-64, my oldest working PC is a Tandy 1000.... Anyways I can't really direct you as I have not tried copying files from an old PC, but here is a link that may help.

http://www.amigaforever.com/kb/3-108.html

3. ChuckE

ChuckE

If you can get the Amiga online to any email service, just email the text of the Amiga files to yourself. You'll lose the formatting, of course, but the actual text you'll be able to transfer.

Not the actual files, since the file will not be usable on the PC (without some format converter). Instead, while you are on the Amiga, just open the file there, and copy the text out to whatever email tool you are using on the Amiga, as well.

(It has been quite a while since I've had my Amiga 1000. I also have an Amiga emulator that runs on my PC, but I haven't even fired that up in many years.)

4. hbookieray

Thanks for the info. I'm getting ready now to read through what is on that site.

5. hbookieray

Mine is an Amiga 500 and doesn't even have a hard drive; though I do recall a few years ago finding some software and figured out how I might get online with it. It's a great idea, though, especially if I had broadband (which I don't), but the number of files is the problem: many thousands of them. All I want to do is transfer my Amiga Textcraft files and make them usable with OpenOffice. I'm trying not to think about how time consuming it is going to be--but it needs to be done.

Thanks again.

6. ChuckE

ChuckE

My Amiga 1000 was great (my favorite of all the dozens of computers and many operating systems I've had and used). I upgraded it with 1.75MB of memory (remember, it came with 256kB plus the 256kB Auxillary, totaling .5MB - how quaint!) and then I also had the Kickstart in ROM, I also added two 80MB hard drives, and even a Real Time Clock (remember how you had to otherwise enter the date and time!). It was a real sweet machine, and for its time (more than 20 years ago) it was a powerhouse.

I will send you my email address, and if you send me a TextCraft file, I will look into seeing how to convert it into something more usable.

7. hbookieray

Well, I couldn't send you any if I wanted to since I can't get at them yet with my laptop (which is the problem I am trying to solve). I think OpenOffice, which works with Word files will be able to read them and I'll just have to take the time to format them as I wish. If not, then I'll have to go to the trouble of re-saving every single one of the Textcraft files as plain text (it has that option, but I remember doing an experiment and finding that there was no real difference--and also reading that the Textcraft format is essentially plain text anyway.

After hours of googling (I'm exhausted from it), I think my wish to be able to simply drag and drop from my Amiga floppies to my pc is possible. There are several programs which might work and I've just got done firing off e-mails to the particular souls asking if their programs will do what I want and if it would make for faster transfers using either my Ethernet or USB ports. After that, I'll just need to find the proper cables. I have a null modem cable which I used long ago to do this very same thing between my C=128D and the Amiga 500, but I somehow doubt I'll find an adapter for Ethernet or USB. Then again, is there anything Radio Shack doesn't have?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700436

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice