1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transferring Data Between Two Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bauer24, Apr 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bauer24

bauer24 Thread Starter

hi

My computer does not seem to power on, and i suspect it to be a power switch or power supply problem . my brother said he'll take it to the nearby PC repair shop. if the repair cost is too much, i'll probably purchase a new PC (i am in need of a replacement PC anyway )

My question is, i have important data on my current hard drive(NTFS) , would there be a way to transfer it to my new PC?

Thanks

2. BG-0

BG-0

Just install the OS on the new drive, connect the hard drive to the new PC, boot up, and access the old drive just as an external HDD. Copy files to safety. After that, you can keep on using the old drive as a backup drive, or just for any data you happen to need to store.

3. Old_Fart

Old_Fart

Hi. I read the post above, but I'm not sure what you meant by "Copy the files to safety." Will you please explain what you mean by that (more explicitly)?

Thanks,
    Old_Fart

4. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

He just meant simply that when the old drive is connected to the new PC, the PC will see it as just another hard drive right from the start.

Then "copy to safety" means you can get those files to the new hard drive, where they will be safe.

5. Old_Fart

Old_Fart

Thank you. I more or less assumed that's what was meant, but... being a 'literal thinker,' I just wanted confirmation. Thank you for your kind reply!!

6. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

No problem, I am the same way in an environment I am not 100% comfortable in. I like to double check everything.

Good luck!

7. Old_Fart

Old_Fart

Thanks to all of you for replying to my Topic. I'll mark it "Solved."

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/820024

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice