1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transferring data from a laptop with a bad mother board

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Leinie17, Jan 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Leinie17

Leinie17 Thread Starter

Help! Hi friends, Hoping someone can help....... here is my issue. I have a H.P. laptop running windows 7, this laptop bit the dust but the hard drive is still functional. My question is? Can I remove the hard drive and install it in an enclosure, and then use Windows Easy Transfer to move my data over to a new tablet running Windows 8?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yup, remove the drive and place it in an enclosure, or even install it internally in your desktop as a secondary drive; SATA drives from laptop use the same connections as desktop SATA drives.

You can't use the Windows Easy Transfer; that utility must be run on a running system. Simply copy and paste the files you want from the one drive to the other just like you would with a USB hard drive or stick.

3. PcPhoenix

PcPhoenix

Sure. If your laptop is an HP it should be fairly simple to remove the drive. Once you remove it, you will need to connect it to your other computer in some manner. The easiest way is to use a USB<->SATA adapter.

All an enclosure really is is a case around the hard drive combined with a USB<->SATA adapter. You can buy these adapters on eBay for just a few dollars, or you can go to your nearest electronic store and they will have one. These are usually much cheaper than buying full enclosures for your drive.

Once you have the adapter, you'll be able to connect your hard drive at any time like you would a USB Flash drive. Just plug it in and windows will detect it, giving you full access to the drive.

Usually, all of your important data will be in the directory:
    <drive letter>:/Users/<profile name>/
    Example: E:/Users/Mark/

That will have your desktop files, documents, downloads...etc, at which point you can just drag-n-drop them to your current drive.

Also, if that drive is good, you can keep it around and use it as a storage device whenever you need to store a few hundred GB of stuff somewhere.

4. Leinie17

Leinie17 Thread Starter

Thank you, I will give it a try.

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Be aware that programs installed on there will not work unless they were "portable" or "no install".

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1141683

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice