Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Transferring Data to New Tablet

917 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  LJFried 
#1 ·
Ye Olde Luddite need s help again, please

Trying to transfer data (apps) from old Insignia 7.0 Android table to new Samsung Tab A7 - can not use Wi Fi with Samsung Smart Switch app because it says "not compatible" with Insignia but using a cable is possible - I've attached a cable with USB C on both ends but it's not working - Samsung says to look for "transferring media files" on Settings - I see something called "Tethering" on the Insignia but I can't slide the "on" switch for "USB tethering" - it won't move - message says "USB not connected"

Any ideas what I'm dong wrong? Thank you in advance for your great help. Everyone on this site has been great to me.

#4 ·
Either connect by Wi Fi or by cable.
To a supported device.
Under Smart Switch these are the supported devices
Other Android devices:
- HTC, LG, Sony, Huawei, Lenovo, Motorola, PANTECH, Panasonic, Kyocera, NEC, SHARP, Fujitsu, Xiaomi, Vivo, OPPO, Coolpad(DazenF2), RIM(Priv), YotaPhone, ZTE(Nubia Z9), Gionee, LAVA, MyPhone(My28s), Cherry Mobile, Google(Pixel/Pixel2)
Source: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sec.android.easyMover&hl=en_US&gl=US

If you are unable to download through the Google Play Store, please follow the instructions below.
- Please reboot a phone
Basically the smart switch app is for transferring from a phone to a Samsung device.
Samsung Smart Switch app because it says "not compatible" with Insignia
And there you have it. It will not work wifi nor wired because the Insignia is not a phone.

To transfer your photos and music from the old tablet (contacts, text messages, etc. don't apply to tablets) to the new: put the charging cable of the old tablet into the computer. Find the music and photos you want and copy them to your computer. Remove the old tablet. Plug the new tablet into the PC and copy what you have on the PC and you want on your new tablet.

#6 ·
You don't transfer apps!!! You transfer data. Just like Windows, you don't copy programs from 1 computer to another; you do a clean install.
When you attach the tablet to the PC, you will get a box on the tablet. It asks about sharing data. Click ALLOW, otherwise you will not see the tablet's contents on the computer.

Open the folder that is on your tablet with your music (using Windows Explorer).
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Terrestrial plant

This is with nothing opened on my Tab A.

Hold down the right mouse button and drag the song to any place on your computer. I usually create a folder on my desktop. When you lift the mouse button at the place you want to put the song, you will get a choice to move or copy. Always click copy. If something goes wrong during move, the file is gone forever. If something goes wrong during copy, you still have the original file at the first location and can try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.