1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

transferring files between computers (slightly different ?)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by miscreant, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. miscreant

miscreant Thread Starter

I want to transfer files from my PC (running Win ME) to my laptop via a USB connection. The problem though is that I don't have a monitor for the PC. Or is that a problem? Will the USB connection alone between the two computers allow me to navigate through my PC's hard drive and copy files? Or do you have to somehow activate that capability on the PC side? Because I don't have a monitor for the PC I won't be able to do much of anything with it after I turn it on. So I'm hoping that all I have to do is plug in the cable and have automatic access to the PC's hard drive. Will that work?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Nope.

First off, you can't connect a plain USB cable between systems and expect anything but possible smoke from one or both!

I'd configure both for file sharing and connect an Ethernet crossover cable between them. Once you have file sharing setup, you can run without the monitor.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

You can do it with a really expensive usb Directlink special cable and a program called Intellimover, but as John Will suggested, Ethernet crossover cable is a lot simpler.

4. miscreant

miscreant Thread Starter

thanks, but I was hoping to be able to move files somehow without having to do anything on the PC end (no monitor). oh well

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Since you don't have a monitor for the PC, configuring it is going to be a problem.

A relatively inexpensive solution would be to take the hard drive out of the desktop, put it in a USB external drive, and transfer the files that way.

6. Leec65

Leec65

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

And that's part of the problem. There is no monitor. In fact if there was one, it might be faster to just make a network between the two computers.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I fail to see why the monitor from the other system can't be connected to configure the machine for networking and automatic login. Then all you have to do is turn it on, wait for it to finish booting, and access it across the network.

9. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Isn't the other computer a laptop?

10. Mulderator

Mulderator

I don't think he has a monitor John, that's the problem.

You could also hook the PC up to a television just to set it up the way Johnwill is suggesting--you just have to configure it for networking and share the hard drive then you'll be able to see that hard drive on your laptop. In fact, you could just take it to a friend or relative's house that has a monitor and configure it there, then bring it home.

I have to tell you though the easiest thing is just get an external enclosure and take the drive out--external enclosures are cheap and that's the easiest possible way.

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Yep. No extra monitor. Just another computer which is a laptop. Glad we agree that an external USB drive is a good solution.

12. Mulderator

Mulderator

Yes--but some people are not comfortable taking parts out of a computer--can be very daungting for someone that has never done it or even looked inside a computer. For example, JohnWill can't get his wife to touch his hard drive! :eek: :D

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Yes but isn't that just what you just suggested as the easiest thing to try?

14. Mulderator

Mulderator

BTW--I might add that you can do this the other way around if you do end up getting access to a PC Monitor or you can hook the PC up to the television (your video card has to support TV-Out). That is you can get an external enclosure for a laptop drive and take that out of the laptop and connect it to the PC. Laptop drives are usually a lot easier to take out--my Dell, you just slight it right out the side.

15. Mulderator

Mulderator

Easiest for you and me and someone who is willing to take a drive out of a computer. But like I said, for some people they'd rather spend a lot more time doing something else if they don't have to open up a computer and take parts out.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542737

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice