1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transferring files between Win95 and XP

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Kaneohe, Jan 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kaneohe

Kaneohe Thread Starter

I have a new XP machine and need to move about 2000 data files from my old Win95 machine onto the XP. How should I do this? I tried using the files transfer wizard with a serial laplink cable, but it takes forever (6+ hours for 100 files).

I tried setting up a home network using the network wizard, but was not sucessful----I'm a total novice at home networks. Help! I have a Linksys EtherFast 10/100 5 port Workgroup Hub and both machines have ethernet 10/100 cards in them---is this enough to allow my XP and Win95 machines to talk?

Any suggestions on How-To articles for such a task?

Can someone explain why I can't just connect an ethernet cable between the two PCs???

Thanks
    Kaneohe

2. Huon

Huon

I am a bit bemused, I would have thought a simple crossover cable between the two cards was the simplest and most direct method. (Must be a crossover cable). I have a permanent linkup that way, XP to 98SE, and I can see no reason why it wouldn't work for 95. Once linked, run the wizard on the XP machine to produce a floppy to set up the other machine.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You have a hub and two machines with NICs, so you're all set. If you just want the network for a temp hookup, install the TCP/IP protocol on both sides, make the workgroup names the same, and share the disks on one of the machines, and you should be all set. You'll need to manually set the TCP/IP addresses, make one 192.168.2.1 and the other one 192.168.2.2, and make sure that NETBIOS over TCP/IP is checked in the advanced properties for both machines.

I believe the networking wizard for XP should make you a disk to help you get W95 connected, though maybe they stopped at W98 with that compatibility.

4. Kaneohe

Kaneohe Thread Starter

Jonwill, I intend for this network to be temporary---will be used just so I can move the 1000 files I need from Win95 to WinXP. The WinXP network wizard does not support Win95, and thus I am really lost. I need a simple step by step procedure for this project.
    1. Connect hub to both PCs. ----I can do this! :)
    2. Since the network wizard does not support Win95, do I still need to run it on the WinXP machine? How do
    I configure/setup the Win95 machine?

Mahalo
    Kaneohe

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Configure the networking on XP NETBEUI only, you'll have to get the NETBEUI files out of the \Valueadd\Msft\Net\NetBEUI directory on the CD. You'll have Microsoft Client and NETBEUI protocol on the XP machine.

On the W95 machine, you need Microsoft Client, NETBEUI, and File and Print Sharing. After you get that going, go into My Computer and right click on the drive(s) you want to share, and select Sharing. I'm rusty on W95, so you may have to go to properties to find sharing, I can't really remember. In any case, you want to share the drives you need to access.

After that is set, and the computers are connected, you should be able to find the W95 machine in Network Neighborhood on the XP machine and copy the files.

The reason I don't suggest TCP/IP for this task is that W95's TCP/IP was pretty buggy, and I found it difficult at times to get it working properly. NETBEUI requires no configuration, and it by far simpler to get going.

Hope that helps you out...

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112025

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice