transferring files directly between two computers

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

tonypham

I have a friend with a mac laptop that I need to transfer roughly ~110 GB from. I have a laptop that dual boots Windows 7 and Kubuntu 12.10. Does anyone know the quickest and easiest way to directly transfer these files between our computers? Neither of us has a large enough external hard drive.

tonypham

Neither of us have one of those unfortunately. Is it possible to use a HD with an OS already on it as an external HD in an enclosure?

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
Is it possible to use a HD with an OS already on it as an external HD in an enclosure?
Only the spare space.
Although if you put a bootable Linux on it you could use that on both machines.

TerryNet

Terry
You'll only need a cross-over cable if neither ethernet port is auto-sensing. Any PC that had Windows 7 or Vista pre-installed is almost guaranteed to have auto-sensing ports.

You could also connect both computers to a router or switch to network them.

tonypham

Is there a common file formatting type common to all OSes? I know NTFS can be used between Linux and Windows but I've heard OSX is less receptive to that format.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online