1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transferring files from old hard drive to new hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by r01axb, Sep 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. r01axb

r01axb Thread Starter

Hello,

I want to install a new hard drive to replace my old hard drive, it came with software to transfer data from one hard drive to another, my question is how do I hook up two hard drives to the motherboard at the same time?

Thanks.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The cable that the drives connect to have 2 connectors each and theres 2 connectors on the motherboard which means you can have up to 4 drives in the computer without buying extra hardware.

Each drive has jumpers on the back of the drive. If a drive is the only one on the cable or the Primary/Main on that cable then it needs to be set as Master. If the drive is a second drive on the cable then it needs to be set as Slave.

For you the easiest solution would be to have each drive as the Master, with one on each cable - just temporarily unhook the CD-ROM drive(s). You may need to enter the BIOS and changed the drive type settings to AUTO on all channels.

You should have some documation to help you setup the new drive - the same will pretty much hold true for the old drive.

3. r01axb

r01axb Thread Starter

I can't unplug the CD-ROM, I need it for the installation disk.
    I look for the second connector on the IDE cable.

Thanks.

4. r01axb

r01axb Thread Starter

I see the other connector, It's right in the middle of the ribbon cable, I don't want to keep 2 drives in here permanently, I just want to transfer the data then remove the old one but I don't see where I can place the new drive just temporally to transfer the files, because the connector is in the middle, has anyone done this before?

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Just attach the drive to this connector and atatch the power cable - put the drive anywhere, if temporary it doesn't matter. Set the jumpers accordingly.

6. r01axb

r01axb Thread Starter

Thank you, I'm happy to report that the installation was a complete success. I had the new hard drive standing up, hanging by the power cable and ribbon cable. I didn't adjust any jumpers, because the instructions in the manual were confusing, so I left that alone, inserted the software disk and it asked for easy setup or advance setup, I chose easy, in advance you get to choose the size of the partitions, in easy it's just 1 whole partition. After it was done coping all the files to the new drive, I shut down and took the old drive out put the new one in the bracket, the odd thing was at no time did I change the jumpers, and everything went fine.

I just have one more question: Are there any benefits from having several partitions on a hard disk?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, you can seperate your programs from your data. This is good if you ever want to reinstall windows, start over, or whatever then you don't have to worry about losing your data (ie. music, documents, pictures, etc.) However, this shouldn't be confused with backing-up becuase if for example if the hard drive quits then all partitions can/will be lost.

You can also use your old drive as a second drive to do this as well.

8. compilerxp

compilerxp

Partitions are a life saver.... When you need to MOVE your data files off the main partition to reinstall "windows" or to make a backup... Also, faster defragging.

9. r01axb

r01axb Thread Starter

Thanks(y)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167934

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice