1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

transferring files

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by arrowwes, Jan 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arrowwes

arrowwes Thread Starter

I think it's time for a different computer for me. My current one is starting to make a noise. It sounds like the cooling fan is the cause. Rather than replacing it, I figured it's time to upgrade to a different one.
    I would need to transfer all my files to the new one. What is the best way to do it? I do have a usb file transfer cable. Is there anything I should know before proceeding? The newer computer has not arrived yet, so I have time.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    If you are talking about desktop computers, the fastest way to move files might be to removes the HDD from the old computer and install it in the new computer. If the old drive is not that old and is large enough to make it worthwhile, you could then reformat the old drive and use it for additional storage.

If you would rather not open up the computers or you are talking about laptops, you would need to make sure that your USB file transfer cable supports the operating system of the new computer as far as any drivers may be needed. I am going to assume that your cable has active electronics inside of it to properly handle the USB connections and isn't just a piece of wire with a male USB type A plug at each end.

Assuming both computers have Ethernet ports and your internet connection has a router with a spare Ethernet port, you could open up sharing on both computers and copy files over your network connections, but it might be slower than via USB.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is this meant to be a discussion question? Or do you really think that there is one best way in all situations and that all people will agree?

I suggest that the best way is to just "restore" to the new computer from the old computer's data backup.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1221463

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice