1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Transferring files

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Damsel, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Damsel

Damsel Thread Starter

Hi

I was hoping for some advice!!

I would like to transfer a file from one computer to another in a different location (another part of the city).

The file is large - a little over 2 gig.

It must be a very secure transfer.

I would like to do this daily.

Both computers use XP Pro.

Can you please tell me the best way to go about doing this? Do I need special software and/or hardware?

Thanks.

2. datamonger

datamonger

3. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

This one's fairly simple. Just use a secure file transfer. Something similar to the link below:

http://www.coreftp.com/

Courtney sends

4. Damsel

Damsel Thread Starter

Datamonger, Courtneyc:

Thanks for your reply. The programs mentioned refer to FTP servers. I do not have one.

Does the software emulate a server?

Thanks.

5. datamonger

datamonger

Damsel,

Those listed on Snapfiles are servers and clients. You can set up one side as a server and the other as a client. I have not personally tried any of them but they are a complete solution.

Another option would be to use a freely available file encryption application. You encrypt the file, transfer it, then decrypt it at the other end.

How do you intend on getting the file from point A to point B?

6. Damsel

Damsel Thread Starter

datamonger:
    I don't know. In fact, I have no idea. :-( I was going to use email but I was told it was too large. I'm hoping you'll advise me on the best method.

Thanks.

7. datamonger

datamonger

Are the two sites interconnected somehow (like via a leased line)? Or are both sites simply on the Internet?

8. Damsel

Damsel Thread Starter

datamonger:
    They are not interconnected in any way.

I have been told that the simplest way is to buy a Buffalo linkstation. I went to their site but I am not at all sure how it works. It says that you can enable FTP but there was no documentation to download. To be totally secure, I was told to buy two - one for each end. They cost about $300 a piece. Is this the way to go?

Thanks.

9. datamonger

datamonger

Do they have Internet access?

10. Damsel

Damsel Thread Starter

Yes - both have internet access by cable modem.

Thanks.

11. datamonger

datamonger

OK, then you can use the Encrypted FTP program. You would run the Server on one side and the Client on the other. You will probably have to do a Port Forward on the router at the office that is running the service. Assistance on configuration can be provided for this in you provide the Model # of the router on that end. Depending on the Cable Modem service being provided, the default FTP port (21) may be blocked but that is OK since you can, and probably should, change this to almost anything you want.

Encrypted FTP ensures that traffic between the client and server is encrypted. So even others on your own networks would not be able to see clear data, all they would see would be encrypted and useless to them.

12. Damsel

Damsel Thread Starter

datamonger:

Okay - i will download it to both computers.

Thanks so much for this help. I have two computers in my home. May I practice on those so I do not mess up the office computer? My router is a Linksys BEFW11S4 ver 2.

Tomorrow I will download the software and try it.

What happens if my computer is hacked into or stolen, all someone would need to do is 'crack' my password ?

datamonger, Thank you very much for helping me.

13. datamonger

datamonger

You can try it between your home computers, but since they are on the same network, there will be no need to do the port forwarding part. But it will familiarize you with the programs. The server can be a bit tricky. After 3 failed login attempts, it puts the client computer on a blocked list. You just have to remove it from that list when this happens. Also, the user account needs to be activated (checkbox next to username) before it will work.

On your crack and hack note: they would need to know the username and password and port number. I would suggest changing the port from time to time. The password is encrypted so that would be difficult to crack as long as it is a strong password.

On a license standpoint, this app is free for personal use. I doubt it is too expensive if you decide to use this for your solution and need to license it for commercial use.

Good Luck!

14. Damsel

Damsel Thread Starter

datamonger:
    Thanks very much for all the hints. I'm very eager to try it. How long do you think that a file transfer of 3 gb would take?

Good. But a password of 20 characters - upper and lower case with numbers and symbols is such a pain! :)

The cheapest corporate rate is $155 for up to 25 users. We're only two - but that is still the cheapest rate. You now have me wondering if under those circumstances, it would not be worth buying the Buffalo drive for about $75.00 more. Do you know anything about it?

Thanks, datamonger.

15. datamonger

datamonger

3GB transfer would depend on your up/down speeds through your cable modem. My home up rate is 256Kbps while my down is 4 Mbps. If I was downloading a 3GB file, best case would take at least two hours and that is without ANY delays or problems. If I was uploading the same file from home it would take 16 time longer...about 32 hours. Have you considered just burning the file to a DVD and driving it over?

I do not know much about the Buffalo Linkstation other than it just looks like a network storage device. No mention of encrypted transfers...

There are more solutions other than the Encrypted FTP. Try E-FTP first, see if you like it. Try a few others. See what works for you.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!