Transferring files

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cahallyburton

Am getting ready to purchase a new computer but have no network card on my old one, and my USB ports aren't working properly. What are my other options for transferring my files to the new system?

Remove your hard drive from your old PC, and install into your new one as a secondary or a slave. Then copy your old files to your new hard drive. Or, get hold of an external CD burner and hook it up to your old PC, transfer your old files to CDs, and then copy them to your new PC.

Hope this helps...

cahallyburton

Is there a serial or parallel cable I can use to transfer files from one computer to another? My USB ports aren't working properly.

I don't understand what you mean about using just a serial or parallel cable to transfer files. I think there are some CD burners that connect with a parallel connection, or you can get a 100MB or 250MB zip drive that has a parallel connection and transfer your files using zip disks.

If you don't have a network connection, really the only way to transfer your files is from hard drive to hard drive or disking them off to some other form of storage and then putting them on the new computer.

What you are looking for is called a null modem cable. Comes in both parallel or serial – parallel being faster. It rearranges the input so the computer can translate it as if it is coming from a modem.

http://www.vision.net.au/~timotsc/null/nullmodem.htm

http://www.cablesnmor.com/parallel-laplink-cable.html

Faster is a relative term. They are both glacial if you have Gigs of stuff to transfer. brooke’s suggestion to just temporarily install the old hard drive in the new computer is far and away the best way to do it if you have a lot of stuff to move.

Thanks, Slipe! I knew there was some cable out there, just didn't know it was a parallel/serial connection.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.