Transferring Files

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jampot

I have a number of video files, some fairly large on my old Vista laptop that I want to transfer to a Windows 7 laptop.

Both PC's are connected via wireless network.

Is there a way I can transfer these files (or any files for that matter) wirelessly between the 2 PC's.

Failing that what cable would I need to undertake a wired transfer.

Ent

Josiah
Retired Trusted Advisor
If you have a wireless network already set up and can see either computer from the other (and you should be able to see both), this should be easy. Make sure that file sharing and public folder sharing is turned on in the network and sharing center. Then either set the folder holding the videos in Vista or the destination folder on windows 7 to be shared. You could use the public folder in Windows 7 as the destination without doing this.

Swap computers. If the 7 folder is shared use the Vista computer. If the Vista folder is shared, use the 7 computer.

Go to network and open the first computer and the shared folder (depending on your network you may need to enter a user account and password). You can then copy to it as with any other folder as if it were on the same machine.

antech

Banned
Go to my computer(now computer)
Check the left hand tree browser
Click on network.
You will/can see both the PC's and double click them to view each other shared files.
BTW,
Have you chosen the network when the wireless network was detected?
If you selected the public network,
then you wont be able to see the other pc and vice versa

jampot

This is what I have. I think Computer 1 must be the Windows 7 laptop. The Vista laptop does not appear to be showing.

Attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online